Philips 32PF 9964 Plasma

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by Juiceloose, May 29, 2002.

1. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I am considering purchasing the above unit but know absolutely nothing about plasma tv's.

Can anybody advise me why I shouldn't by this unit (other than price)

Are they reliable ??

I currently have a Denon AVR3802 AV receiver a Ferguson VCR and a Toshiba SD 220 DVD player arrives tomorrow.

In addition to the above can anybody tell me what I will need to connect everything up and what do I connect to where. I currently have the 3802 connected to the VCR via phono plugs and the VCR to the TV via scart.

Hope you can advise me.

Best regards,

Steve Gandy

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Steve

Nothing really against it except the picture quality is not as good as an equivalent CRT - in other words the drawback of all or most plasmas. For the same money you could buy the Panasonic 42" which is a belter of a picture, but a bigger screen of course and you lose the connectivity of the Philips. I assume you have watched it on demo, so if you like the picture there's very little to argue with.

3. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Thanks Philip,

If the plasma isn't as good as the equivalent CRT version can you recommend an appropriate CRT model.

A guy at work has the Philips 32" 100hz 9523 model in cool green which I quite like the look of but it has never been referred to in any of the forums that I can see, nor do any of the magazines appear to have reviewed it. Although I can pick it up brand new for £850 instead of the original asking price of £1400 I'm not sure if it's any good or reliable.

I'm not bothered about surround sound as I have my receiver for that so a nicam unit will suffice, hence my selection of the 32" plasma.

Cheers,

Steve.

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I'd go for the Philips 9527 - due soon which has pixel plus and nicam sound. Pixel plus is amazing picture quality. The current model has dolby digital sound which you don't need. This model can be had for around a grand, so the 9527 should come in under that.

But please do try to get a look at the plasma - you may like it. So much of this is personal taste. I understand as well that Philips will be applying pixel plus technology to their plasma screens, and when they do it should be awesome. don't know when - later this year maybe and will still cost about £5k.

5. Juiceloose

Juiceloose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Thanks for that.

I can get the current plasma version for £2999 but if the 9527 will be available for under a grand I may wait. Do you know when it will be available and forgive my ignorance but what is Pixel plus ??

I've seen the plasma on display and did like the picture. My main reason for selecting it was size as my lounge is quite small and the plasma doesn't have the rear bulk of a traditional CRT unit.

With this in mind is there a 28" version of the 9527 ?

Steve.

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    The flatness of plasma is a real bonus and if you like the picture then go for it. The price you mention is excellent.

Pixel plus is Philips new technology for improving TV pictures. As ever opinion varies but many of us love it. See the various threads on this forum.

If you like the plasma picture and for under £3k I'd be tempted to go for it but your choice of course. A difficult call but happily between what I think are two excellent options. Whatever you choose it won't be wrong.