1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32FD9944 - comments please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Fox E, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Fox E

Fox E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm seriousy looking to buy the Philips 32FD9944 plasma TV.

I have seen a couple running and the blacks don't look too bad so I think that the contrast is OK. The sound is acceptable to me given that I will run any decent source material through the home theatre equipment.

All comments - good and bad would be much appreciated. Any owners had any dead/dying pixels - or is this not a problem?

PS: I'm buying in New Zealand so please don't bother referring me to good UK deals on these.

Thanks

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had to return 2 philips plasma`s within weeks of having them with picture problems they were the 42 inch models

3. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Fox E,

I don't have any dead pixels on mine, but then I've only had it 6 weeks, so it's probably too early to say. On the minus side, when you're up close to the picture, it can look a bit 'dotty', as you can see the different coloured pixels, but if you're at a reasonable viewing distance then it's fine.

I was also considering a 37" panasonic, and if picture quality had been my only concern then I probably would have purchased it, but there were a few things that I considered to be minus points:

1. The casing is very 'business' looking, and I felt it wouldn't sit well in my living room

2. Although I have a surround system, I didn't want to have to go to all the bother of switching this on just to watch tv, and the speakers for the panasonic were extra

3. In the UK, the tuner box comes with the Philips screen, whereas the Panasonic's tuner box is extra

I guess it comes down to your own priorities, I was happy to accept a picture with slightly less quality to have the above extras! It looks fab sat on the stand - it's appearance is the best out there.

In general, I've been really happy with it. Played various Xbox games and DVD's (anime & feature films) and they've all looked great! In fact, I don't really have any serious bad comments about it. The only slight concern I have is after playing games like Halo for an hour or so, you can still see the health bar ghosting on black - but this does disappear after a few minutes of watching tv so there isn't any permanent damage. I suspect you'd get this with all plasma's though.

Pixie

p.s. are there any other owners of this screen on the forum?

4. Fox E

Fox E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pixie,

All the things that you pointed out are the very reasons that I am looking at the Philips 32" (well I'd look at the Philips 42" for the same reasons except it is quite a bit more expensive).

Tomorrow morning I am going to the retailer for a final viewing (but have already made my mind up) *:cool:

I agree that the machine sitting on its Samurai sword stand is aesthetically pleasing (and was one of the selling points to my wife!). I was happy to get the new pixel plus 32" CRT but my wife urged me to go for the plasma (great wife!!).

The tuner box also comes with the 32" Philips in New Zealand and that plus the built-in speakers make it a good TV replacement without any hassles - yet it can so easily be integrated into a home theatre setup for DVDs etc.

The other thing that I have been told is that the tuner itself is a very good one and will work with terrestial signals very well (I really didn't want to get Sky unless I had too).

Thanks for your response.

Cheers

5. Fox E

Fox E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Decision made.

Philips 32FD9944 purchased yesterday and delivered early next week.

Cheers!

6. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Fox E,

Hope the delivery goes well, and good luck with setting it up!

At last, they'll be 2 owners of this plasma on the forum!! :D

Pixie