1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32DW6557

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Worm, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Worm

Worm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Have just bought the IDTV above and am very irritated with the fact that you cant turn off channel info that appears evry time you change channel. It is slow anyway and having the info appear every time is very annoying. My old Matsui28" IDTV allowed you do do this. Also Analogue is locked in 4:3 with the auto widescreen not kicking in. VCR use also is locked to 4:3. Using manual zoom does not give true widecreen. Digital is fine. Are there any secret MENUS or does anybody have any help to give

TIA

Robin

2. rmsdev

rmsdev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have the 28 inch version

I have no problem with auto switching at all whether analogue or freeview , so may be you have a defective one...

Dunno if you can change the channel info that appears, but at least yoy know which channel you just chose !

What do you think of the picture quality??

and BTW did you notice that both SCARTS are RGB enabled !!

3. Worm

Worm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Thanks for reply. Have emailed several people (including Philips)for the hope of solution, so will see if any solution arrises Have 28 days grace anyway but will try some more fiddling before claiming faulty set.

Picture quality..am still working out best TV settings as manual as usual is useless. DVD from my JVC player is stunning.

How do you know scarts are both RGB?

Regards

Robin

4. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Connect a device with RGB output and when you select that input source the display in the corner will say 'ext1rgb' or something like that.

5. rmsdev

rmsdev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @ worm

good luck if you waiting for a reply (email) from philips (I am still waiting ... it's almost 5 months now...!!!)

RGB scarts : both scarts have the three dots sign in a triangular fashion, but to have proof just connect an RGB source an see for yourself!

Picture quality from freeview is sometime so good that I am thinking I am watching a DVD

regards

6. Worm

Worm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Just rang Unbeatable.co.uk and they offered to replace it straight away or arrange an engineer. Decided to have engineer first as TV is installed with all kit and testing the set up in situ would be better. If still a problem then I will replace it then. Rang Philips and engineer coming FRI PM.

Will post the results!

Regards

7. Worm

Worm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Engineer came..went through everything I had done ..didnt attempt to try any service menus/set fiddling. He said he hadnt a clue why auto switching wouldnt work on analogue/video but ok on digital/dvd. He rang his workshop.. no luck. Wanted to arrange to take to workshop. I said no and rang unbeatable who are collecting on mon but I will have to wait a week to get replacement. Good job I kept my trusty Matsui28" IDTV, and have a a 12 month interest free option, which by the way has more options and has no problem with autoswitching. All that effort to get the thing installed aswell.

Regards

8. Worm

Worm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Been to comet and currys where the same TV is on display and the poor analogue switching is the same on those 2 sets. Digital widescreen fills the screen but analogue leaves 2black bars top and bottom. Strangely tried the sony and the same occurs on them. If this is progress I wish I had bought the Matsui 32" version 3 years ago. The picture though is great both on Freeview and DVD. If I could switch off the channel info , I could live with the auto deficiency. What to do.. keep the TV or refund and try another brand.

Time for a drink methinks!!

9. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll never get true widescreen on analogue anyway! And only on VCR if you've recorded a WS programme from the digital tuner. There's therefore no auto-widescreen on analogue TV programmes. The best you'll get on ANY IDTV is a smart-zoom, where you can choose to zoom in just enough to eradicate the small top/bottom black bars on 14:9 in a 4:3 frame analogue broadcasts, a semi-stretchy panorama view or (yuk) a fully stretched 4:3 image across the 16:9 screen.

Very infrequently C4 will broadcast a signal on analogue (line 23) when showing a deep 16:9 letterbox within a 4:3 frame; this causes WS TVs to linearly zoom the image to fill the screen. (Not as good as digital as you are losing resolution) This is the only form of autoswitching I'm aware of on analogue.

Make sure that you've tried all the picture options, autoswitching may be switched off.

From P13 of the manual:

Using the different screen formats
    Press the [<>] to select the different modes:
    4:3, ZOOM 14:9, ZOOM 16:9, SUBTITLE ZOOM, SUPER ZOOM and WIDE SCREEN.
    With analogue programs only, you can access directly these settings with the < and > key.
    4:3 Mode
    The picture is reproduced in 4:3 format and a black band is
    displayed on either side of the picture.With analogue programs only,
    the picture may be progressively enlarged using the ^v keys.

Stuart