1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32' pw9617c ? all panasonic tubes in the uk?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by freeky, Apr 27, 2002.

Tags:
  1. freeky

freeky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just seen a philips p+ 32' pw9617c
    in john lewis and 1 in comet and 1 in a local store.

all 3 had dots either side of the screen in centre like zacabeb said.

does this mean that all 32pw9617's in the UK are going to have panasonic tubes?

2. ums69

ums69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    9617 with Panasonictube also present in Sweden....
    Have anyone seen the sticker/label on the tube ?

3. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 9617 - what are these dots I should be looking for?

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The dots are on either side of the picture:

[​IMG]

So far I've checked three 32PW9617's out in stores and didn't find anything particularly disturbing. The 'special features' of Panasonic CRT's that are ultra-prominent in my 32PW9616, such as dirty patches, dark bands and color impurities seemed to be absent. The only problem I could see was the trademark curvature. All current 32PW9617's have Panasonic CRT's; I'm not sure what type. Philips are taping over the MDDG sticker in the sets.

I'm neither very impressed nor let down by Pixel Plus, mostly because 'regular' TV's nowadays have significantly lesser picture quality than they should. That is because of showroom features such as SVM and overdone digital processing. My old Philips RPTV which died of age last year, and my mother's 8 year old budget 28" 50Hz Sanyo both had/has better picture quality than my 32PW9616. The sick part is that the Sanyo, which has a budget Thomson CRT (Videocolor) is worn out and is starting to lose focus. Still the image feels more natural and better defined than on the 32PW9616 thanks to the freedom from SVM.

I don't know what Philips have done to improve SVM behaviour in the Pixel Plus sets, but it appears to be less intrusive from what I have seen. I'm probably switching myself, even if it involves a Panasonic CRT.

5. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Zacabeb - my TV does indeed have the two dots. However I cannot for the life of me find anything wrong with the curvature of the image, it all seems very good!

The only problem I have, and I know I am not alone, is the image from the satellite receiver is far from perfect - particularly compared to the 4:3 Sony TV I had previous. Pixel Plus is a fantasic feature, but it increases the visibility/noticability of the mosaic effect on the satellite signal a bit too much - the standard 100Mhz is my preferred option. But Pixel Plus is fantastic on DVD's and PS2 games - just try out Final Fantasy on DVD next time you test a 9617!

6. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Check my post here