Philips 32 PF9986 HD Upgrade

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by krishna12, Nov 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. krishna12

krishna12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

I bought Philips 32 PF9986 LCD TV in Dec 2004 and is not HD Ready, and at that time HD was not talk of the town. As I have already spent £1800 on it and I do not want to buy new one in near future. Can anyone advise me whether or not I can upgrade my current TV to HD ready? Or am I looser?

K

2. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm pretty sure it is able to show all HD stuff, so wouldn't worry about it.

3. machinehead

machinehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    i'm sure there was an upgrade for this.don't think it was was for h/d.can't remember offhand.if you do a search you'll find lots of info on this box

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Relax Krishna12! The 9986 will be able to display HD in all its glory just the way it is.

OK, it doesn't have an HDMI socket, but it does have the next best thing - DVI. This socket will accept input from HD sources just fine, but it will not be able to carry the audio. This will have to be input to the TV over Stereo Phono or through a Cinema System.

NO MODS NEEDED!

Jimmy

5. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    told ya ;)

6. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
  7. krishna12

krishna12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello all,

thanks for your valuable input. I am going to call philips to find out what's the procedure for firmware upgrade.

thanks once again all.
    Krishna

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The firmware upgrade was for version 1.3 models only. This was to enable the TV to handle Progressive Component analogue inputs. All 9986's are able to handle direct, digital HD inputs.

Jimmy

9. krishna12

krishna12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can I check my model version?

10. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    you can run HD 576p 720p and 1080i on the 9986.

however the 1080i is scaled down to fit 1366x768, and the 720p is bordered. It is 1:1 ratio 720x1280 leaving a 29.5 inch image.
    Some people dont seem to be bothered by this however if you check the web site spec it actually falsley claims the TV displays 'high definition images' at a resolution of '1366x768p'.

This is false advertising since it can never display 768p, and the 720p mode isnt full screen HD. Check the web site you will be amazed how clearly that is stated.

11. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    punch in 123654 on the keypad. The Firmware number is included in the top line.

Something like: TX21EU-2.1_07411. The 2.1 is the firmware reference.

As long as it is not 1.3 you'll be fine. NO MODS NEEDED!

Jimmy

12. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The indication "1366x768p" is to be read as "1366 by 768 pixels". Similarly, the newer larger models have "1920x1080p" in their specsheets which means "1920 by 1080 pixels".

This has nothing to do with progressive. When it reads "720p" or "1080i" it is the specification of a scanning mode and it means progressive or interlaced. The "1366x768p" does not mean that it supports a "768p" scanning mode, just as "1920x1080p" does not mean it supports 1080p.

Sure it is confusing and they should have omitted the p from the resolution specs, but it is only your interpretation that makes it look like a false claim. A false claim is not actually made.

13. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    to quote directly from the philips website

‘This WXGA display with state-of-the-art LCD screen technology gives you widescreen HD resolution of 1366 x 768p pixels.’

That is telling people the TV displays HD resolutions in full screen.
    Im disregarding the 'p' for 'progressive' and focusing on the resolution issue (even tho it says 'p' followed by pixels, which seems to suggest they definately meant progressive when they wrote that) whereby the image isnt full screen when viewed in 720p.

720p is a supported HD resolution, and it is not displayed at 1366x768.
    This also makes the TV not technically 32'' which it is advertised to produce an image size of.

It is the wording that is misleading and false, not my interpretation.

14. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    However, it will display 1080i at full screen resolution.

In a way, it is the industries fault more than Philips (or any other manufacturer for that matter) that they are not choosing to broadcast at 768p instead of the PC sourced and rather idiotic 720p resolution.

If HD broadcasts were 768p then the TV would display 1366x768p. Not Philips fault!

Jimmy

15. Digitised

Digitised

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i understand there is a resolution difference but philips built the TV knowing this. It was not as if the TV was built without set requirements, they knew the resolutions they were aiming to support and they should logically have included relevant scaling technology to correct the picture size.

Im not going to argue this further here because i understand you are both taking philips side (no offence but you are defending them despite their sloppy and misleading wording) and im not here to argue the toss.

But as a consumer that description states that the TV displays HD at a resolution of 1366x768, it omisively doesnt mention the substandard 720p picture which many people have now got to live with, and have complained about - no fix will EVER be available by the way despite the 'our engineers (who are infact all 3rd party) are looking into a fix' claim.

It was a fob story in order to waste away the 1 year warranty that philips have with retailers, after that its down to the retailer and customer to sort the issue out.

16. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    If a 1366 x 768 display displays 720p in it's native form and thus leaves a vertical border down both sides I think it should be stated clearly somewhere.

It is not like it is common practice amongst manufacturers to show it this way and it could be enough to put some buyers off.

17. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I just had my PC connected to the 9986 as I has just had a new 6600GT Graphics card delivered and wanted to watch some HiDef stuff, looks lovely in 720p.

BUT... I could not get the tv to show 1080i...

18. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Just in case you haven't tried........ but you have to force 30Hz on my LCD / Graphics card (ati) to get 1080i. It "works" at both DVI-D and DVI-A. I do not use it as the picture is not good, or stable on my LCD! Strangely the 1080i output of my Samsung HD-745 is fine at 1080i.