1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32 PF9830

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by clash33, Aug 24, 2005.

1. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone advise when and where this item will be available. I have found lot's of sites advertising but all are awaiting stock. :confused:

2. Rolighed

Rolighed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At D&C their first shipment should arrive any day now but all are already sold. And then there won't be another shipment for Philips UK before approx. the end of september. At least thats what I've been informed from D&C.

3. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Second star to the right and straight on 'till mor
    Ratings:
    +54
    Robert Sayle (John Lewis) in Cambridge are 'awaiting stock'. Release day is due tomorrow, I believe. I may wait until I've seen one in the flesh, so to speak before ordering one though.

4. vvesk

vvesk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I called Philips customer support in Greece today, asking for availability details. They said that initially they were expecting it early September, but their latest info is that the model would not be in the market before the 15th of September (2005, presumably)...

I am very hot with this model, but then again, I do not want to become yabt (yet another beta-tester)...

5. erico

erico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vvesk did you by any chance asked them what it's street price gonna be?

6. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess they all want to sell out the 9986 stock before they push the 9830. I note they have not release any early to the AV mag's to review either. They must be v confident. :rolleyes:

7. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The also-not-yet-released Samsung LE40M61B has just gotten the EISA-award for 2005/2006 (link), so this might make it a better option than the 9830 (if it was entered in time for the award). Samsung makes high claims for this new product that will appear in shops within a few weeks. A local shop already has it, but is waiting to put it on display.

8. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still no sign of this LCD, flesh or otherwise! :eek:
    It's interesting to read on some of the threads that people think the 9986 still has a better PQ than some (if not all) of the new kid's on the block. Is it any wonder they are taking time to launch the new model.

9. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mate from COMET has suggested that the 9986 will still be a better screen for none HD than the new 9830 . :eek: Hope this turns out to be rubbish as I have held back for the new kit in the hope of another step up in PQ :confused:

10. vvesk

vvesk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, they mentioned something like 4,5K €, but this is a "list price".

As for the 9986 out sale, they do not seem so anxious to get rid of the stock. The best street price here (Athens) is 3,3 K, and does not have (as of now) a drop tendency.

I think the best thing is to wait till the end of the year (I got a LG 26LX2 till then, which will be used as a bedroom TV after the 9830 (or whatever my final decision is) gets into the living room).

11. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Will it really be 1920x1080? Because it would really make this screen stand out compared to the competition.

12. Rolighed

Rolighed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it hasn't already been told in this thread, I can confirm that the 37 and 42 inch screens WILL be 1920x1080! Only the 32 inch (which I've ordered) will be 1366x768.

Cheers
    Rolighed

13. Gordon A

Gordon A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
  14. akseln

akseln
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 37pf9830 is on its way to the stores. The Philips shop in Oslo (NSE) have it already on display in their showroom.

15. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Anybody here planning on getting one of the 1080 panels? It'd be interesting to see what it does with 1080i stuff - i.e. does it downscale first before upscaling? Wouldn't put it past them.

And I'm almost certain it wouldn't take any form of 1080p (25/30/50/60)

Although Philips are a bit hit-and-miss on the technology front. One of the first progressive PAL players (still have mine), yet their 720p panels didn't originally take 720p!

16. vvesk

vvesk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for asking without searching first, but what 1080i source (device) and media is out there to actually see the thing work in EUROPE ??? (*)

Some DVD recorders have HDMI, but not 1080i/p, and I've seen a few NTSC DVDs but NONE (not even 720p) at amazon.co.uk (or anywhere in Europe). Not even a demo/callibration DVD. So far the only thing that is actually there seems to be the Microsoft WMV/HD player and some great documentaries in its own format.

Am I missing anything here ?

Thanks!

VVESK

(*) Taking this into account, why pay now for one of the first "affordable" 1080i panels ?

17. tont

tont
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What 720P panels you are meaning? 9986, 9976 take 720p signal easily, only
    Pixel Plus 2 and other digital options is missing in menu. They are missing because processing power of PP2 is not enough for 720p. Not missing in 99830. There are not downscaling in 9986 and hopefully will not be in 9830 too.
    There are different signal path for SD and HDTV signals and common part is only PP2.
    Philips electronics is very best technology (only hit!). For example videoprocessors SAA4888H with motion compensated deinterlacing and edge interpolation technology is best , better than Faroudja FLI2301, Silicon Image SIL-504 and all others.

18. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB Direct and FLATDEAL.Com now have stock allegedly :confused:

19. Dave Crowe

Dave Crowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does this model handle current Sky Digital images.........is it any good as I was hoping to order one ASAP :smashin:

20. Dazzle

Dazzle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nobody will really know until a) the magazine's get their reviews out, and b) people from this forum, kindly submit their reviews.

£200 cheque to the first person to post one ;)

21. ariomanus

ariomanus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

@vvesk:
    I'm not sure about the situation in UK, but in Germany two free TV stations Pro7 and Sat1 will start broadcasting on Astra 1080i in the second half of October. Premiere Pay TV channel will also start this year.
    And 1920x1080 panels are in my eyes ideal for HTPC use with 1080p WMV material, showing digital pictures, etc., especially if they accepting 1080p input which is not clear for me for the 37pf9830 and 42pf9830.
    Before buying a 32PF9830 I would like to know whether it can accept 1368x768 signal with 1:1 pixel mapping from a pc and whether it shows 720p signal scaled to full screen or 1:1 with small borders around as the 32pf9986 did.

I hope this helps.

Regards
    Ariomanus

22. bendix

bendix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldent it be much better to wait for the next model philips will anounce at marts 2006, because the 9830 dosent have the dimming backlight (clearLcd, aptura ) that was announced by philips at the berlin conference last month, i own the 329986 and the first big change of inportness will be made at the models in marts 2006.

23. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    It does have a dimming backlight, according to their website, it just doesn't have the "aptura" backlighting technology.

If you wait, there will always be something better, but people might want an LCD now. The ClearLCD technology isn't due until the "first half of 2006" so it could be as much as nine months away, assuming they don't delay it further.

24. Rolighed

Rolighed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This issue has been discussed a LOT in several threads... Conclusion (confirmed by released specs): 32PF9830 does indeed support 1:1 pixel mapping of 1366x768 input! So perfect for your (and certainly mine) HTPC! :thumbsup:

Cheers
    Rolighed

25. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You forget that it can only do this at 60Hz vertical rate. That is a step in the right direction, nice for gaming, but it is not perfect for HTPC. At least not for use in Europe.

26. Rolighed

Rolighed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm I correct in assuming that any problems in regards to the 60Hz "problem" should be showing when watching a DVD on my PC's LCD monitor? If so - I have to say that I (for the time being) can accept this "flaw". I haven't really noticed the problem, but I'll certainly do some testing in that respect when I receive my 32PF9830.

Cheers
    Rolighed

27. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When your TV (or PC monitor) scans at 60Hz and you feed it material at 50fps there is always going to be some jerkiness to moving scenes. The software could convert 50fps to 60fps but this is very expensive (CPU-powerwise). More likely it will display 4 frames 1 time and then 1 frame 2 times.

For perfect results, the framerate of the monitor should be the same as (or a multiple of) the movie framerate.

28. Kingston LJ

Kingston LJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had my eye on the 37" JVC, but now the 37pf9830 is my main focus.

The 1920x1080p should be great for 1080i. It allows 1366x768 with a PC, and the PP2 system will potentially make SD content look it's best!

The screen seems to have everything- when are the reviews due?

Also.. if anyone has one, please post opinions! :thumbsup:

29. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi Akseln, hvor er Philips butikken i Oslo? I've been looking at Elkjop and Lefdal but haven't seen one yet... men jeg se Elgiganten har den pa 2-6 dag levering....

Jeg snakke Norske ikke bra....

Cheers!

30. ArNx

ArNx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I got 37PF9830. First impressions = :thumbsup:
    I have a problem connecting pc, max pc resolution dvi-dvi (ati Radeon 9000) IS 1024x768 :confused:
    Anything higher than that = black screen :thumbsdow
    But Pc driver recognizes it as Philips flat TV max resolution 1920x1080i 60 Hz
    Any ideas?