Philips 32 incher with radio (new model) v JVC32 FT1..?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by bertha, Mar 17, 2002.

1. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Hello my brother in law is trying to get himself a cheap half decent 32 incher..my mother got the JVC from Empire Direct & is pretty happy with it - it looks pretty good to me & that's just off an analogue signal..I'm going to test my dvd & ps2 on it..but I spotted yesterday in the recent What tv & video that Philps have a new 32" model out that seems to deliver in the picture dept & have the added gimmick of a built in radio tuner for £700 - the same price as the JVC...

So there lies the quandry - go for something that is new & from a respected manufacturer or go for the been around for a while but still selling well JVC?

Anyone seen the new Philips in action yet?
    Anyone recommend NOT getting the JVC?

Thanks all..

Berth:)

2. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    40 views and no opinions - is it because the Philips isn't available yet?

Any info appreciated...

Berth

3. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Maybe someone would reply if they knew what model number you were talking about?

I've got a Philips PW6006 with a radio in but that only cost me £320 (admittedly a 28", but the 32" doesn't cost anywhere near £700), so is unlikely to be the one you mentioned...

4. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the philips tv you mentioned is the 32''6006 then I can highly recommend it, although if bought online the price is much nearer the £550 mark. I bought mine at unbeatable without a cabinet for £502 inc. delivary, bargain.

tom

5. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    hello - sorry I just scanned the magazine in WH Smiths didn't take a note of the model number - I was hoping that price & the mention of it being in this month What TV being enough to go on..Tom-M's suggestion sounds good I'll look into that too...cheers for now , hopefully will return with more info soon

Berth

6. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I've got the same one on order from the same place.

Do they deliver the tv to the room you want,as I live in a maisonette?

7. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    They did for me. Just be nice to the delivery guys and they'll probably oblige :)

8. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They telephoned me before hand to arrange delivery. Make sure you inform them of your needs and you should'nt have any problems.

tom

9. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Thanks.

Empire did it for me,but I was just reading Unbeatables small print and it says they don't,as they are not insured.

10. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think the model you are reffering to is the PW6717 (With Pixel Plus)? It is not released in the U.K yet, but I read in another thread that some european websites are selling it.

11. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    hello all...thanks for the replys so far..I checked out the mag again..it is the 6006 as mentioned, the article talks about it though as if it were a new model..(unless I'm reading wrong - I'm a bit on the thick side at times)..but I popped into Comet today in my lunch break & the chap looked it up on th ecomputer for me & told me it was a discontinued line & was probably "ancient" - he then went on to bad mouth web traders which I suspect is now in their training manual..I said yeah yeah yeah and carried on....

So - now down to business...which is best the Phillips or the JVC..?

As always any opinions/suggestions greatly appreciated...cheers

Berth:)

12. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The 6006 is definitely not discontinued. It only appeared in about August/September of last year! It was only review in What TV & Video last month and is reviewed in What Hi-Fi this month!

Quelle surprise, Comet have got it wrong again :rolleyes:

Can't compare it to this un-named JVC of your mother's though as JVC probably have about 10 widescreen TVs on the market at the moment, if not more.

*EDIT* D'OH! Just seen the model number in the thread title. :clown:

13. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bertha, the JVC was top of my list at the time , but it was a bit over my budget for a 32'' screen. But after careful consideration, and with the restrictions imposed on my wallet I went for the philips and have no regrets.

The thing is, do you need a completely flat screen, 3 scarts instead of 2, 100hz picture processing, a higher price tag?

If you need the extras and price is no obligation go for the JVC, if not get the philips. At the end of the day they both give excellent pictures and sound and have both been given best buys in various magazines.

Anyway good luck with your choice, whichever one you pick you can't go wrong.

tom

14. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends what your viewing habits are really....

If you mainly watch analogue broadcasts, then I'd recommend you get one of the JVC's (they all have excellent tuners). In fact, everything through an aerial seems to look great and the image has an unusual (but impressive) amount of depth to it. The 6006 has a comparitively grainy picture on normal TV and the set is lacking a few of the enhancements that would have probably eliminated that particular shortcoming.

If, on the other hand, you're an avid watcher of DVD's (and perhaps have a digital STB of some kind), the Philips will provide a more vibrant/natural (and versatile) picture. The RGB output of a DVD player would be the definitive 'test' for this kind of connection (especially the sets we're talking about) and the JVC range have a real problem in this area... You can't alter the contrast or sharpness with this type of link-up (if someone knows of a way, let me know!). This means that you're stuck with the default settings for ALL the different hardware/software you may have. I suppose it prevents someone messing up a perfectly good image (I know the kinds of people they're thinking of!) but in practice it's more of a performance limiter.

You can blast the contrast to near-maximum on Philips sets and there's still no evidence of blooming/ghosting on RGB material (so you can get a blindingly vibrant image if the source is good enough). You can't use the noise reduction on the JVC's either, wheras the Philips again offers the viewer full control (how could anyone watch the R1 of Highlander without noise reduction switched on?!). Don't get me started on the sharpness variances of my disparate kit either.

I daresay the S-video performance of the Philips is better too (through Scart 2), but we're venturing into the land of opinion/conjecture there, so I won't dwell on it....
    In defence of the JVC TV's (FT1/100EKS in particular), they have flat-screens as opposed to the 6006's slightly curved effort (which is a big-deal for some people).

I was very interested in this thread because I previously owned a 24" Philips 6005 (which was great, but also had a 'not-quite-flat' tube), I now have a £700+ JVC AV28S2EK (completely flat) but in all honesty I'd prefer to own a curved 6006 instead!. If you go for a flat-screen, you should be prepared for some subtle compromises IMO (especially at this price-point) and you might be better off ignoring the hype. Yes, the technology's newer, yes they're more fashionable, but you've got to ask yourself is the picture quality itself any better? and are there any performance-hampering side-effects?. I know what I think the answers to those questions are, but a salesperson would definitely disagree....

In any case, I re-itterate that it depends on your habits/preferences:- Would you rather have cracking tuner images accompanied by good digital images (on a flat-screen)? or average tuner images accompanied by superb digital images (on a curved screen)?. Obviously there's more to it than that rather simplistic description, but after trying to find a decent TV for months now, that second option sounds much more desirable to me.

15. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Wow, that's a really well reasoned comparison!
    It's made me feel a hell of a lot better about my PW6006!

The only thing I've ever disliked about mine is that due to the massive contrast range sometimes the bright whites are a bit TOO bright if watching in a low-lit room (Almost hurts the eye! It's not the brightness setting as the blacks remain pitch black) . Anyone else ever felt that way?

Still a cracking set. I was willing to spend a hell of a lot more on a TV, but when I saw this one I bought it straight away!

John

16. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whew! what a comparison Nyquil Driver, if that does'nt make bertha's mind up nothing will. You've certainly made me feel more at home with my 6006 than I did before.

John, your dead right about those contrast settings, they can be blisteringly bright.
    As a matter of intrest what are your personal settings for contrast and brightness, and do you have contrast+ turned on or off.

cheers tom

17. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I keep contrast+ turned off. I've found that with it turned on you can end up losing detail in dark images due to the greys becoming black.

My personal settings are;

Brightness :52
    Contrast: 65
    Colour: 46
    Sharpness: 62

One thing that might interest you is that you can reduce the peak-white intensity from the service menu. It's in the Tuner menu under the setting CL (abbreviation is for White Clipper I think, although I am guessing). Default was 5, I've reduced it to 4 and it makes for much more comfortable night-time viewing. Interestingly, the website that gave me the service menu access codes ( http://home.hccnet.nl/m.majoor/index.htm ), whilst focussing on a different model Philips, shows the default settings for Peak White Limiter as being 4 (the available range shown of 0-15 is the same on the PW6006). Changing it doesn't massively affect the overall rest of the picture, it just clips the peak white brightness at a lower level, preventing the picture getting over bright.

I've had no official advice to do this, it's only something I've found out by experimenting with the settings myself so bear that in mind. I did have a wander around various high-street retailers (Dixons, Comet, Currys etc) at the weekend though and put in the service codes on their display models to see what they had the CL set to (cheeky I know). The majority were set to 5 but there was some variance (one was set to 4, another one was set to 6 and I think it'll probably burn out the retinas of whoever buys it :D ), so there's no evidence that it HAS to be set to 5.

Cheers,
    John

18. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that John, my settings are aonly slightly different:-

brightness -44
    contrast -68
    colour -33
    sharpness -30

I agree with you about the contrast+, when I first put a dvd on,(shrek), the picture looked fantastic, but when I turned it off, I could'nt believe the amount of detail that had been lost :eek:

I think I'll 'try' and stop using the service menu from now on, it's becoming a bit of a bad habit, but then again there was that tuner menu setting.........

thanks
    tom

19. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    hello thanks very much for the very detailed & very helpful replies I'll let you know what my brother in law goes for in the end...thanks again

Berth

20. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Well my bruv in law went for a Philips in the end but the dearer 32PW9525 digital natural motion doodah..he's getting from QED at what seems the going rate & checked out glowing reviews on www.audioreview.com so he seems pretty pleased keen with what he's ordered so far - any comments of this model welcome...

cheers

Berth