1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

philips 32 9986 to Denon DHT 500

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by collinsvs, Dec 14, 2004.

1. collinsvs

collinsvs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At risk of posting an almost identical question to elsewhere, can someone please help with a couple of connectivity questions re the above (which, in stroke of genius, I purchased on the strength of fantastic reviews but without checking compatability). So here goes:

The Denon manual says the best picture output is via component video with progressive scan. Philips set doesn't have component video (yep, should have checked that before parting with two grand for the set). It does have DVI input though so, is it possible to run component video to DVI (and apologies if this is really basic stuff). If so, can someone point me in the direction of a cable that does this (I have checked the bits and pieces that came with the philips, there is an adaptor that appears to fit the DVI in, but it has no attachment). I assume if I hook this up I will be able to get progressive scan?

If this isn't possible, is RGB Scart the next best option (this is what Denon lists as second choice where component video isn't available)

Again apologies for adding a new posting going over old ground but any assistance greatly appreciated

Cheers

VC

2. wjames19

wjames19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you ever solve the component - dvi connection question?

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Colinsvs,

You need to check something first. If you've been reading these forums, you'll know that the 9986 has been getting contiuous Firmware upgrades over the last few months.

If your TV is Firmare v1.3 it will not be able to recieve Progressive Scan signals. Check this by punching in 123654 on the remote and reading the top line. Your looking for a 1.3, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 or 2.3 included in this top line.

If it is any of the v2.0 onwards then you should have recieved a Component/VGA/DVI adapter and cable with the TV, as it is able to utilise component signals.

Please check for this and reply here and we'll let you know how to get the Progressive picture working.

The Denon is a stupendous piece of kit and works beautifully with the later 9986's. If you have to resort to using the Scarts instead you will only lose a little bit of PQ.

Jimmy

4. wjames19

wjames19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I have the 9976, but the firmware is 2.1. In the box I found white, red, yellow to vga cable + vga to dvi adaptor. Can you confirm how I should connect up?

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Connect as follows:

Red to Red.
    Green to White.
    Blue to Yellow.

Select DVI on the TV, run a DVD and press the Progressive Scan button on the Denons fascia. Away you go.

You'll notice that you cannot access the Denons menu in DVI mode so that the Denons setup has to be carried out through a scart connection with the Denons Progressive Scan off. Bit of a pain, but once it is set up you shouldn't have to do this too often.

The 9976 will produce identical quality pictures (virtually) to the 9986 when watching progressive DVD.

Jimmy

6. wjames19

wjames19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jimmy. I found the vga cable supplied had female a/v connections so I had to connect another male/male a/c cable to connnect to the Denon (total 3 connections;- DVi/VGA adaptor, VGA/female a/v cable, a/v male/male cable) - all these connections can't be good for quality - do you know if/where I can get a single high quality DVi-Component cable?

Also do you know if the 32PF9976 center speaker in (a/v connector) will accept amplified input from the Denon? (or will it damage it?)

Thanks,

Will

PS the 32PF9976 picture is OUTSTANDING and would recommend to anyone

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There is no such cable at the moment. I'm afraid. PQ should suffer, but doesn't seem to....mine is flawless. The TV centre speaker is designed to accept line level inputs, but I have come across one or two people who have run this with an amplified feed. Probably not a good idea though. Actually the TV is a crummy centre speaker anyway....

Jimmy

8. wjames19

wjames19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I've got 576p feed and it's great - only there's a distracting white dashed line at the top edge of the screen - any idea how to get rid of this?

9. wjames19

wjames19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Solved the white dashed line - read elsewhere that the remote scrollwheel buttons can be used to nudge the picture - simple!