1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32 9986 LCD as a gaming LCD??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by LiquidTV, Sep 24, 2004.

1. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,

I have just subscribed to this site after pulling my hair out trying to decide the best LCD to buy. I have bought several additions of Plasma & LCD magazine, but didn't find it gave any help & just made me even more stessed!!For example, some have DVI input others don't but have component feed etc,etc.

I'm after a good all round LCD TV. In terms of style & good reviews, I really like the look of the Philips 32 9986 but have not seen any reports/reviews on the ability to display PC or PS2/XBOX images. I do know that I want an LCD with a DVI input. Is there anyone who is able to help.

:lease:

2. exciton

exciton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I use mine for Pc & Xbox - no complaints!

Mark

3. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is there an inch black strip around the image like the thread concerning the 37" version?? Also what are the graphics like when displaying PC & XBOX.

4. exciton

exciton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes for the PC using DVI input. Xbox is full screen. Graphics are fine but bear in mind the image resolution of the Xbox through a scart input

Mark

5. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark,
    I assume you mean the XBOX resolution through a scart is C**P. I believe there is no component feed so the only way to connect is through he scart. Also have played any DVD's through the PC & if so do you still get the black bar around the image??

6. LiquidB

LiquidB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    May I remind everybody of the fact that scart is technically also component. The only difference is that it is in the RGB system and not YPbPr.

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    The DVI takes component via a converter, which philips supply in the box, so thats not an issue.

And if you have a modded xbox, or a legit US import and have the hidef pack, you can feed it lovely 480p. 720p or 1080i - LCD is probably the best match for one of these xboxes.

8. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the risk of sounding stupid, are there not any LCD's that can display PC images without the black bars around the edge (ie a full screen image)?? I think it looks odd & would rather stick with a conventional PC monitor if there was no way to use the entire screen.

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Sure, but most pc monitors are 4:3 and 25ms response rate, unless you spend serious money.

If you are looking at 32"+ widescreen panels, lots aren't even 16:9, and other have restrictions as you've mentioned.

when feeding them a TV signal, which they are meant for, you get a full screen image. Even on the philips through component->DVI.

Used for PC there might be compromises. You can get a full screen if you use 1024x768 and stretch it.

10. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Originally, I had narrowed my choices between the Philips 32/37" 9986 or the new Sharp 32/37" titanium until I heard about the black bars around the image. Has anyone got an LCDTV where this either doesn't appear or it can be adjusted like a conventional monitor??

I suppose the only way to decide is to pop to a retailer with my PC connect up & see for myself. However, I don't plan to buy from them as they're so damn expensive compared to Empiredirect or Unbeatable.

Also changing the subject slightly, I plan to buy a new PC for before xmas. Does anyone know if the graphics card has any bearing in quailty/performance of screen resolution. I'm thinking of buying the Nvidia 6800 ultra.