Philips 32" 9527c-nothing compares

D

defiant11

I have been reading all the threads in particular talking about the Philips 32" 9527. I have infact purchased one myself three weeks ago, it is model 9527c if that makes any difference.
I chose it because after seeing lots of other models the picture was the clearest of all, in fact in one shop it sat in between the Toshiba and Sony equivelants and made them both look blurred in comparison.
It took me and my partner over a week to take in the over whelming sharpness and almost 3D like quality of the picture.
I would certainly disagree with comments of blurry pictures as this couldnt be further from the truth. Playing DVD's in particular the picture looks so real its as if theres a hole in my lounge wall and we are looking through it outside at the car that is this tv's picture, make no mistake the picture is that good. I have since had half a dozen friends around, some of which probably wouldnt care or understand what a good tv is all about, but everyone who watched the picture has said the same, the picture is something very special that stands out amongst other tv's. Playing films like 'Fast & the furious' & Lord of the rings just makes you feel like you are there.

just makes you feel like you are there

Which is exactly what many happy Pixel+ owners have been saying since around June when the first owners in the forum got theirs... credit where credit's due, Philips really have excelled here and despite its slight artefacting problems, Pixel+ really does give the best image ever seen on a non-HDTV set. :D Once I had calibrated my 9617 I was overwhelmed all over again!

Congratulations!

btw. the "C" stands for the cabinet being included.

Hi, does yours auto switch to 16:9 correctly? I am assuming you have Sky digital or BBC digital or a DVD. I only ask as I am thinking of getting the same TV but have read of possible auto switching problems.

mij

Originally posted by rct
Which is exactly what many happy Pixel+ owners have been saying since around June when the first owners in the forum got theirs... credit where credit's due, Philips really have excelled here and despite its slight artefacting problems, Pixel+ really does give the best image ever seen on a non-HDTV set. :D Once I had calibrated my 9617 I was overwhelmed all over again!

Congratulations!

btw. the "C" stands for the cabinet being included.

Just how do you calibrate the thing, I assume you can do the same with the 9527??

Regards

phil

Originally posted by defiant11
...make no mistake the picture is that good...

Have you got any vertical lines/bands on your screen? These show on mine during lighter scenes with one towards the left hand side of the screen, the other being roughly 25% from the right hand side. Believe me, once you've noticed that they're present, there's no getting away from them - no matter how excellent the picture is!

Phil,

The best thing to do is get yourself a home cinema set-up DVD. The one I have is called "Ultimate DVD Platinum" and is available from www.ezydvd.com.au It only costs around £10 (even including the postage from Oz!) Once you have got it you'll be able to get brightness, colour and contrast set-up correctly (settings will vary from screen to screen) and it also has 4:3 and 16:9 geometry grids if you wish to tweak the settings in the service menu.

:)

Gordon A, I have heard of this banding problem from some others. Does this occur on both DVD playback and normal TV Broadcasting.
I personaly have not witnessed such banding and I would of noticed it cos I am by nature very picky about these sort of things.
It sounds very annoying and if I do ever come across it, the engineers will be getting a prombt call out.

Carl

"Ultimate DVD Platinum"

RCT, I was looking for this setup DVD on that site you gave a link for exept everytime I done a search for it, it just came up blank. Do you have the link to the dvd itself.

Cheers Carl

I have noticed these bands on my 28pw9617, it appears to be only from my ps2 via the lead supplied (going into the side connections), and they're only visible on dark scences with the brightness level turned up. This is one flaw I hope to rectify when I get delivery of a Scart lead for the ps2, as I am assuming it's the lead or connections.(Could somebody let me know if I'm wrong on this one). Sky (AV2) is fine, and I really do not want to give up this tv, the dvd picture with pixel plus is amazing, even thru the ps2 (aside from those bars).

Jsut went to ezydvd myself and it looks like they no longer sell it. A quick look at Amazon.com shows the DVD as "currently unavailable". Maybe it's currently being pressed again.

Hopefully, it'll be back in a month or two. It's a shame really, as it's the only afforable set-up disc with Avia around $50 + import duties from the U.S.

RCT,
I dont suppose you have a DVD Burner-lol

Cheers anyway-ill keep a watchfull eye for it.

Carl

I, too experience dark banding and hav been advised that it is to do with poor scart socket shielding. I dont get it via aerial socket and seems less apparent on the ext1 socket and worse on ext3

Greenthumb,
I suggest either borrowing a decent scart or buying one if that is what you have been told. It does sound like interfearence of sorts usually associated with poor leads or one that has become faulty.
I forked out about £60 for mine and it actually did improve the picture qulity over the cheaper £20 job I had before.
Worth doing if only to rule it out.

Carl

The 2 bars sound like the scrolling bars on the Sony tv's, Sony stated that other manufacturers tv's have them, though due to a different method they are fixed and do not scroll like the Sony's do.

mij

I get them on my Philips 32PW6006 on all sources mainly on brown backgrounds or some smoke scenes,very odd.

Originally posted by defiant11
Does this occur on both DVD playback and normal TV Broadcasting.

The banding occurs whatever the source, but doesn't seem to be as bad via terrestrial. Might try disconnecting all external inputs and see what happens. I'm using Profigold scarts for all connections, which I suppose could be considered 'cheap' at £20 compared to QED's ones at £40-£50!

There now seems to be numerous bits in various threads concerning the banding on these Philips' models, so wonder if Philips will catch on if the engineers start having to make call outs? I for one am getting on to either Philips directly or the supplier this week to see what they've got to say. It's obviously not a problem that is confined to just one set.

Philips are aware of the banding problem, and there is a fix which requires the fitting of a ferrite ring round a number of cables. This would suggest the problem is caused by unwanted induction between loom cables. AFAIK modification notices will be going out to service agents shortly.

Originally posted by HowieC
Philips are aware of the banding problem, and there is a fix which requires the fitting of a ferrite ring round a number of cables. This would suggest the problem is caused by unwanted induction between loom cables. AFAIK modification notices will be going out to service agents shortly.

Have you any more info on this fix at all? Would an engineer be able to do this fix on-site do you think?

I've noticed these bands on my 9617 too - only visible on very dark screens like credits - the dealer said in their experience this was due to poorly screened scarts, but because they show up on both DVD ( verfy faintly) and more noticeably on Terrestrial Analogue I wondered if it was some other fault.

However this thread suggests that the Scart lead could be the problem, especially as the one from the video to the TV is somewhat ancient. Anyone got any suggestions as to which ones to buy ?? - and where from

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom