1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32 - 9527 TV

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by paulcollins14, Jun 24, 2003.

1. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am relatively new to new video formats and having spent 1200 on a new Philips 9527 I was amazed that not only does it not accept NTSC or PAL progressive scan, it also has no component video input. This TV was highly recommended by my local TV shop, I also cheched out a few others and thought it had the best picture quality but why no component video ?

1200 TV's are not the sort of electrical equipment that I can afford to change every 12 months so I'm stuck with RGB.

Why would Philips develop a new TV that won European TV of the year that is already out of date ?

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi Paul,

Any chance you could trade it in for a Toshiba ZP38 model? I believe they can accept NTSC and PAL progressive scan signals. Check out www.pictureframe2.net You might ask Sony too why they don't fit component inputs. D'oh!

Steve

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    There are very few CRT TV's that can accept BOTH PAL & NTSC Progressive Scan via Component Inputs. The Toshiba ZP38** models are one, the JVC HV32D25 is another and I believe the new Panasonic PD30** models can as well.

The Philips 9527 P+ is not new technology it's been around a while now. It's only now that TV's with Component Inputs are starting to become more common. I would imagine all manufacturers will eventually have them as standard. :)

4. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, I'm wondering if I should change my DVD player to an Arcam DIVA DV 88 plus which I understand accepts NTSE prog scan via its scart connection. Can anyone comment on this ?

Thanks

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Listen to Jase... buying a top-end DVD player with progressive will NOT make your display progressive.

If you want progressive consider a projector of some kind... although I wouldn't touch a LCD myself (nice and compact, but don't like the idea of heatsoak- more detremental to the picture quality than a few dead pixels)

And you'll need a audio delay once you get progressive.. I don't know if your AV amp has delay function (don't get confused with speaker distance delay.. that's a different thing)

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Paul

Your Philips 9527 P+ has it's own Progressive Scan mode for use with an NTSC source. This can be selected from the TV's Onscreen Menu.

As Nathan has said, it will NOT accept a Progressive Scan signal from a dvd player with Progressive Scan output, so don't waste your money.

All the best.