1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 32 9525

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by hynzi, Jan 27, 2002.

1. hynzi

hynzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am the proud owner of a flat 32 9525. I am now considering a dvd player and surround cinema etc. The tv itself is superb. My query is though, should i buy a cinema package or just get extra speakers and shove them into the connects in the back of the set? What would be the pro's and cons and if i just get the extra 4 speakers, where would i get some etc.

2. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may be worth trying additional speakers first and see what you think. I would say that you probably want a bit more flexibility and power and should therefore look at buying a digital receiver/amp. This will also compliment a DVD player and give you terrific surround sound system.
    What you go for depends on your budget. I have recently bought the Yamaha HTIB40 package (£380) which includes a Digital Receiver and speakers. This gives you the option to upgrade to some bigger speakers later if you really want to get into this game. Give us an idea on your budget and I am sure others will be able to recommend.
    The best thing is to get hold of some magazines such as What HiFi and Home Cinema Choice and do some research.
    As to where to buy from on the net do a search through some of the other forums. Many supplier are also listed in the magazines. My advice is give the supplier a call and see if they have got what you want in stock before you order.
    Hope this is of some help.

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm sorry to reply even though I don't have any suggestions - but I have to comment.

It's great you're happy with your 32PW9525. It's the model I considered before finding it was discontinued from sale here in Sweden. After that I settled with a 32PW9616, which is essentially the same model but with an extra SCART connector and Dolby Digital. These TV's used to be pretty exceptional, won awards, were chosen for reference by magazines... it was almost too good to be true, so of course Philips had to be mess them up somehow.

Now Philips have gone wacko and started placing all sorts of tubes into those TV's to make up for their leaded glass shortage. These include Panasonic aside from Philips' own tubes and possibly other brands. The Philips TV's are no longer good purchases as much as they're risky; unless you don't care about the visual differences between the tubes, buying such a TV is like playing the lottery. You might not get what you expected. Panasonics have higher resolution but are curved behind the glass; Philips have lower resolution but are nearly flat. Naturally, expecting a Philips tube I got a Panasonic with a knocked deflection coil. Marvellous.

While on the subject I'd like to ask you how old your 9525 is and what tube you have - it can be seen through the vents on the right hand side while standing in front of the set. I'm trying to figure out how long this tube changing thing has been going on. Also, do you have any problems with color purity on your set?