Philips 30pf9975 problems

mrspoons

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently bought one of these TVs from Digital Direct and am fairly unhappy with the amount of problems this TV has with any fast motion.
The TV is linked up to my Sky+ box with an Ixos Scart cable and it seems to be having major problems coping with any fast movement and was wondering if any other owners have the same problems.
This is going to sound a bit sad but while the missus was watching the end of Richard and Judy last week, when the credits came up (scrolling from right to left) they were pretty much unreadable. I have also noticed issues when watching sport though they are nowhere near as bad as the credits problem.
I've tried every single setting I can think of and it's not looking much better.
Does anyone else have these problems or have I got a duff set?
I'm reluctant to return it as Digital Direct want a 25% restocking fee which would cost me around £450:eek:

Hi

I have one of these linked up to freeview box & I can't say I have encountered the issues you are describing!

This set has loads of options for tweeking the picture, have you played with all the digital settings?

every single setting I can think of. If you can cope could you do me a favour and watch the same program tonight to see if the credits do the same thing.
I've gone through all the settings even turning everything off and it's still no better.
Any chance you could post your settings?

Tonight I will be mostly watching:

Emmerdale
Coronation Street
Eastenders

(the Mrs will take control & she must watch the soaps!)

I will have a look at the settings I have set it up with & let you know.

The only setting I tend to play about with is switching it between Pixel Plus & Progressive Scan occasionally.

What time is Richard & Judy on?

it finishes just before 6pm.
I cant believe I know that :)

I hope the tv is knackered as it will save me a lot of hassle from the wife

I won't be home in time to watch it.
I am off tomorrow, will try & catch it then.

I can't believe we are discussing watching Richard & Judy :blush:

Cheers
Just noticed another annoying scrolly text thing - the capital one advert

Hey Mrspoons.
I bought the same set from DD a couple of weeks ago and so far am quite impressed. I haven't noticed any problems with the scrolling of credits on Richard and Judy :blush: (I do some times catch it!!!) I should be home tonight before 6 so will try and take a look! Just to let you know, at the moment all I have done with my set is plug it in to the wall ariel socket and have not really played with any of the settings apart from the contrast. I have heard that running the TV through a digi box would help with the picture quality so will be trying this method out as well. Also going to try running it was some proper cables but am a bit of a newbi to this game so might have to do a bit of research first!!!

I'll let you know about Richaqrd and Judy!!

J

cheers, just had a long phone call with them about it to see if it can be returned and checked to see if it is faulty. If a couple of other people with the same TV dont have an issue then I should be ok.
I set SKY+ to tape the program last night (hangs head in shame) but the credits didnt appear as they were overrunning. I checked Sky news as well but the scrolling news looked ok on that although it is a lot slower.

MrSpoons,
Just caught the end of R&J last night, but they didn't roll the credits! However I was watching a program on channel 4 which finished with rolling credits and had no problem such as you described.

thats 2 nights on the trot that theres been no credits. Thanks for looking anyway.
Its going back today and I'm off to richer sounds to pick up a 32" hitachi plasma.

No way, I've set trading standards on to them about it as after reading all the info on the regulations I should be covered

How long have you had the LCD unit for??? Although my unit seems to be fine, I'm getting a little concerned about the problems seem to be having!!! Fingers crossed. Good luck with the new Plasma

J

Had it delivered last Wednesday, packed it back up on Friday night and arranged for collection on Monday.
I dont hang about :)
It might just be me being picky but I expect a tv thats cost be £1800 to be near perfect and be able to display a reasonable picture from my existing setup - Sky+ linked to the TV by Ixos scart cables

How long have you had the LCD unit for??? Although my unit seems to be fine, I'm getting a little concerned about the problems seem to be having!!! Fingers crossed. Good luck with the new Plasma

J

Mr Spoons (or is it Mrs Poons?).

I don't blame you, you are not being picky, although £1800 may not be a great deal to some, to us mere mortals it is a lot.
I am glad you managed to get the supplier to take it back, hope you are a lot happier with the Plasma.
I can only compare my LCD with a 10 year old Toshiba CRT unit, and a previous cheap plasma that I had & it is certainly much better than the plasma, and in certain things better than the CRT, in others not that much better.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom