Philips 30PF9975 LCD, Not Impressed

J

jerkyboy

Bought one of these a few days ago, and I have to say that I was gutted with how bad the picture was during dark scenes.

When the picture was supposed to be all black, the screen went from almost black to light grey patches all over the screen.

I know LCD's struggle to do true blacks, but I would expect a consistant colour all over the screen.

Anyway, returned the TV for a refund, very ****** off.

The hunt for the perfect TV continues.

Yep LCDs do struggle with blacks and still have a fair way to go.
However the Philips is better than most.

Interestingly the panel we originally had on show always looked better than some of the ones we installed (better colour rendition / better viewing angle) so you might just have had a bad one.

Originally posted by jerkyboy
When the picture was supposed to be all black, the screen went from almost black to light grey patches all over the screen.

I've noticed that when first turned on, and for the first 30-60 minutes of viewing the screen illumination is very uneven, in the way you describe, even with a tinge of green/black.

However, after it has warmed up the backlight diffuser becomes more even. The ambient light in the viewing room affects the picture as well: if viewing in a dark room the back-lit illumination is much more noticeable. I usually watch with main lights on, and then the picture (at least to my eyes) looks a look better with blacker blacks, and the backlight illumination is a lot less obvious.

Nigel

LCDs aren't the only screens to suffer this kind of problem. I sent my Hitachi plasma back for just this kind of reason.

I dont think the default setting that this screen arrives with do it any favours. I had to change mine a lot to make it acceptable, in particular the contrast was way to high.

I am convinced it has settled down a bit in the few weeks I have had it and the picture is now very good.

One problem I have noticed is how this screen show up bad transmission quality, I mainly use freeview and this hasnt changed but I never used to notice ir with my old CRT TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom