1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 30PF9975 bright patches in dark scenes

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by IanW, Oct 26, 2004.

1. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Guys & Gals,

Come on I need to know the answer to this as I am going back into Currys on the weekend. My 9975 has bright splodgey patches in dark scenes, is this normal????? :mad: The image quality normally is great, albeit the contrast could be better, but the blue screen shown when no external input is available is perfect.

Ian.

2. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ian, mine had them too. I sent the set back due to this and the poor blacks (well, greys), but I took a picture of it prior to the return.

First of, download the pics and watch them in fullscreen with a black background in order o appreciate it better (although it is not that hard to tell where the problem is).

This first picture shows the screen "as is"; in low light conditions the bright zones where easily visible:

[​IMG]

In this picture I've exaggerated contrast, hue, saturation and gamma so it is more evident:

[​IMG]

And in this last one, I've substituted the brighter colors with red, so we can see where the problem is more intense:

[​IMG]

Finally, I don't think this is normal so you'd better go to Currys and tell them about.

Hope that helps.

Regards.

3. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Norvegia,

That is exactly what I have. Did you get another 9975? Is the replacement any better?

Ian.

4. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As it was the last one they had in stock I asked for a refund; still, I was not completely satisfied with the set, mainly with its "blacks", so I would not have wanted the same model again.

Right now I'm waiting for a 30" Philips 300WN5QS LCD; it is more a monitor than a TV. If you would like more information go here

Well, good luck this weekend at Currys.

Cheers.

5. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    OK, I now have my second set hanging on the wall and guess what. . . . exactly the same. :mad: :mad: :censored:

Has anyone else got a philips 30pf9975? Do you have these bright patches in very dark scenes? :lease:

If I choose not to go forward with the 30pf9975 what do I go for instead. The 9975 cost me £1600 and I do not really want to pay any more for its replacement as this is only for the family room.

Check out some pictures here

Cheers,

Ian.

6. sennen

sennen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mine has a big cloud-like patch like yours when first turned on, colours are also duff (dull, green-tinged). This only lasts for 10-15 minutes until the screen 'warms up'. Picture is fine from then on - apart from small, slightly brighter patches right in each corner which are only really noticeable when watching dark scenes (or with black bars around 4:3 aspect video) when room lights are off.

I don't get the vertical banding seen in Norvegia's images, though, I assumed they were effects of capture, etc.

The cloudy bit in the middle *is* suspiciously absent with the blue-screen, just as you mentioned.

I normally watch with brightness 30-ish, contrast 70-ish, colour 60-ish, with most of the active/dynamic processing malarky turned down or off. My feeds are RGB using fully-wired scarts, and VGA.

7. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    sennen,

How old is your unit and where did you buy it from?

I am not sure whether I am happy to live with this. I think that I might take it back and ask for a refund? Might look for something else. :( :( Shame because this screen really gave me everything that I was looking for.

Ian.

8. sennen

sennen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    'bout 9 months old, from Unbeatable.

9. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Looks like this really must be a 30PF9975 trait. I am going to see if I can live with it for this week, if not it is going back on the weekend.

Ian.

10. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry to hear that Ian. I don't get why this happens on every screen mentioned in this thread because till now there were no complaints about this issue on this forum. It would be very interesting if everyone that owns this set would tell if this also happens on theirs.

On the other side, I think you should ask for a refund if you don't feel like it worths the money you spent on it. Mine was also what I was asking for at that time, but I didn't like what I saw and sent it back. Don't hold it if you're not satisfied.

Good luck.

11. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I have a Sony KLV26HG2 which I am delighted with.

When I first got it out the box though, I had the "splodges" - mainly one in the top right, but lighter ones in the bottom right and also top left. I was told it was the polarisation filter?

Oddly enough, after about 3 weeks, I could no longer see the patches, and they have never returned. I'm positive this isn't just me getting used to them - the patches are GONE. Is this possible at all? Could it be when I was cleaning the screen, I pushed it backwards into the panel a little and maybe evened something out inside?

12. legin

legin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    brought 9975 at weekend
    i am geting light batches in corners also.
    friend at work gets the same thing.
    apart from this great tv .

13. sennen

sennen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've just given my Philips screen a little bit of pressure while cleaning it and it moved the splodge. I'm a bit squeamish about pushing on it, but I don't think this technique would get rid of it completely!
    I'm sure it didn't look like that the very first time I turned it on -- I noticed it about 3 or 4 days later.
    Still, 15 minutes of on-time and the screen looks fine, so I'm happy with mine. Looks best with a light on, though ;-)

14. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Norvegia,

I totally agree, I have used this site for quite a while now and have found many gems of information before. I did plenty of research on the screen before I bought. I looked through plenty of old magazine reviews and searched avforums. I am staggered that this can of worms seems to have been opened now when everything else previously said about the screen has been so good. :lease:

Ian.

15. sennen

sennen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Issues with light bleeding, uneven dark scenes, poor picture until warmed up -- have been mentioned on these forums before. See the thread titled "Philips 30PF9975 LCD, Not Impressed", for example. I think the 23" version also received criticism.

Dunno why magazine reviews don't pick up on this kind of thing. Perhaps they get delivered specially selected sets, or don't have the things long enough to discover the faults.

16. dmsims

dmsims
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Also it's not just confined to Phillips

I recently bought a JVC LT26C31 (very pleased). The first one delivered had 2 large patches. The second one, replaced next day, did not

17. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Well I have made my decision, the set IS going back on the weekend. Now to get Comet to agree to a REFUND!

Ian.

18. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And do you plan to make any new purchase?

Regards.

19. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Oh yes I do! :devil:

Got the wife lickered up last night, and I think that she has agreed to go with the philips 32pf9986. Need to see one tomorrow when we take the 9975 back to comet and see how things go. Unless someone is going to persuade me to go with something else? :confused:

Ian.

20. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Well looks like we are going for the 32pf9986. :clap: :thumbsup: :cool:

Philips not open today, so comet need to call them on Monday just to get everything sorted. Comet have done a deal on the price as we were returning the faulty 30pf9975.

Cannot wait for Monday night. :devil: I have done some reading up on the 32pf9986 and looks like there is a version 1 and version 2, I just hope that mine on Monday is a version 2. :suicide:

Ian.

21. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hehehe, good luck then :smoke:

Cheers.

22. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Okay, so comet did the deal on the 32pf9986. :thumbsup: :clap: This is an awesome set and I am very happy with it, but yes you guessed it is the old software version. Time to call Comet again tomorrow to find out what they are going to do about getting it upgraded. :suicide: :zonked:

Ian.

23. Norvegia

Norvegia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What do you mean by "old software"? Does that mean anything worng with the set? Is it something different from the burning this model had?

24. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Norvegia,

This relates to whether or not the set can accept component signal through the DVI socket. The old software CANNOT accept component through DVI, and the new software CAN accept component through the DVI. The set through RF and RGB DVB is just awesome. The set copes really well with our sky distributed through the house. Cannot wait to see it running the DVD in progressive mode.

The screen has no bright spot issues that the 30pf9975 had. :clap:

Ian.