1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 30PF9975 and Pioneer 575A - Progressive component issue

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Optimus, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Optimus

Optimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've hooked up my Philips 30PF9975 via its component sockets to a Pioneer DV-575A DVD player. The DVD player is ouputting a progressive signal (the 30PF9975 will not take an interlaced, i.e., 576i signal), with the TV reporting it is receiving a 576p signal. The TV is configured to progressive scan via its picture menu.

Great picture, however, about an hour after starting to watch a film, the picture was periodically lost, i.e., a blue screen for about a second. This was intermittent and I couldn't reproduce it on demand. It seemed that this happened a few times in a row, and then was ok for a while, and then it did it again. There were no loose connections or broken cables, and it happened with all my DVDs. I guessed something was getting hot or interference was building up as it took a while for the problem to manifest. Anyways, the player went back as faulty.

Unfortunately, the replacement has been doing the same thing. However, it has also done it within minutes of starting the film, so it appears unlikely anything is getting too hot.

I've spoken with Pioneer and Philips about this, but they were both at a loss to explain it.

Has anyone had the same problem with the same DVD player and / or TV?

Has anyone had any other brand of DVD player working with this TV via the component inputs using progressive scan?

UPDATE - Seems that it was actually the TV which is faulty. Found this out thanks to AVLand for going beyond the call of duty and loaning me another brand of player. As an aside, major thanks to all at AVLand. Best service I've ever had from an internet retailer, actually any retailer to be honest. Now the headache of getting this TV sorted which somehow I reckon will be far more difficult.

2. barkin

barkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have the similar problem.

I have Pioneer DVD737 and Pioneer 501MX 50" Plasma, connected via Component. When I watch DVD, the picture goes and doesn't come for 2 secs. I can't say peoriods because it's very variable. Sometimes it works without problem, sometimes it goes repeatedly so that I can't watch anything.

Help me if you find a solution.
    Thanks

Barkin

3. Optimus

Optimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. No solution yet I'm afraid. Both Philips and Pioneer say they haven't experienced this problem before. I was thinking it must be a faulty TV, but I'm not 100% convinced, especially as you have had a similar problem.

Pioneer did say once that component connnections could sometimes build up static interference which could cause the picture to be lost when it discharges. Not sure if this is anything to do with it.

I've just bought a VGA to component lead and I'm hoping that using a different input on the TV for the component signal will fix the problem. I'm assuming the TV uses the same circuitry to process a PAL progressive signal, regardless of whether the VGA or component inputs are used, so if the VGA to component cable works the problem could be something as simple as the original component cables I was using.

PS - A complete shot in the dark, but I have read somewhere that Pioneer recommended connecting the Scart lead as well as the component leads to stablise the picture. May be worth trying if you haven't already

4. db7000s

db7000s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Optimus,

did you try the component -2- VGA cable ?
    Can you comment on quality of signal

Alex

5. Optimus

Optimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alex,

Yes I did try it - didn't work at all though, just got a blue screen!!! So the quality is pretty poor :)

Have to admit that this confuses me. I also read the manual which states that the component input accepts 480p, 576p, 1080i, and that the vga input also accepts 480p, 576p, 1080i. So, I assumed that I would be able to feed the DVD component signal straight into the VGA input without any conversion on the way. Appears I was wrong.

Can anyone explain this to me? Is a component 576p signal different from a VGA 576p signal despite sharing the same name?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Optimus i think it is to do with the signal type YUV, not being the same as YPbPr, also VGA is usually RGBHV there are a lot of coplicated isuues with all of this. a scaler would help but £400+ for even a basic unit!

7. Optimus

Optimus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hornydragon, I thought YUV was just another name for YPbPr? Philips use the terms interchangeably in the manual for this TV.

Not being able to figure this out forced me to read the manuals for the 30PF9975 and the 32PF9986 (sad, but true).

P22 of the 32PF9986 manual states that the DVI input will accept 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, and 1152i.

P18 of the 30PF9975 manual states that the VGA input will accept 480p, 576p, and 1080i.

The way this information is presented and explained is exactly the same in both manuals.

I know that Philips are now shipping the 32PF9986 with a component to VGA cable with a VGA to DVI adaptor, and this works in terms of connecting a DVD with component out directly to the TV, without the need for any converters or scalers. So given that the information in the manuals is almost identical with regards what the DVI and VGA inputs will accept, why can you connect a DVD player directly to the 32PF9986, but not the 30PF9975? Is it the fact that the 32PF9986 has a digital interface whereas the 30PF9975 has an analogue one?