1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 30PF9975 and DVI compatablity?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sefton, Sep 27, 2004.

1. sefton

sefton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im in the process of hooking all my equipment together and I read that my Philips 30PF9975 has a DIV-d input.

Is this connection just for PC's or can I connect a DVD player with HDMI output to my LCD? Is this the best set up? Or should I use component or scart. I've also heard of the new QED scarts which just transmit video as opposed to audio. Would this really give better results than a normal scart?

Sorry for all the daft questions but Im new to all this and my terminology might not be 100% correct :blush: but I'm on a steep learning curve.

Cheers!

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    HDMI players will indeed connect to DVI-D.

There are two basic types of DVI socket, DVI-D is digital (D) and DVI-I which is DVI-D plus RGB analog. HDMI is a digital interface so only uses the DVI-D part of the DVI-I connection if you connect it to a DVI-I device. Note that a DVI-D cable DOES plug in to a DVI-I socket, just not all pins are present on the plug.

HDMI is a copy-protection protocol and some players won't allow connection if the other end isn't also HDMI. Whether your display is acceptable depends on it being HDCP compliant, basically DVI-D + HDCP = HDMI, though be warned, some early DVI(HDCP) displays weren't recognised by some HDMI-equipped DVD players .. I'm not sure if that sort of silliness is still a problem or not.

For more info on DVI/HDCP/HDMI take a look here

'Fraid I can't say anything about QED Scarts, off hand my guess would be they'd be theoretically better since there'll be no cross-talk between the audio and video signals in the combined cable, though how much of an issue that is with A/V scarts I couldn't say.

HTH.

3. sefton

sefton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks KraGorn!

It appears that my Philips lcd doesnt have dvi-d :( although I seen this quoted on some specs for my LCD. So I guess its going to have to be Scart or component. Will look into this further!

Thanks again...

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If this is this your TV then it looks like you're right.

Maybe you're suffering from the 'different spec for different countries' syndrome, it's not unknown for US versions of displays to have DVI but European version not, instead Europe can get SCART while the US doesn't.

On that basis you want to try to feed it component.

5. sefton

sefton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your right! Silly me!

Okay, component it is then!

Thank you.