Philips 3005 - what video dac?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Barzo, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +403
    Hi All,

Picked up the greatest DVD bargain I've ever seen while on holiday back in Belfast. Philips 30005 MR DVD for £39.99 from Richer Sounds Ireland. It was bought as a present for my brother, to replace his underperforming Tosh 340e with his Tosh 36 inch CRT. Ony thing the player lacks (not including luxuries like HDMI) is DIVX playback, which I believe is part of the step up 5000 series players. It really is am amazing little player.

Pic and sound from the player are excellent; well beyond price point. Documentation says it is a 12-bit 108 MHZ DAC. I believe Philips have used Mediatek in the past. Does anyone know what the DAC in this player is, or, even better, whether it is a more advanced/newer version of the DAC used in the Pioneer 575? There is a reason for the question, as the Pioneer 575 showed 'jaggies' on some diagonals, and the Philips does not.

Barzo

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I don't know the answer but it could well be Mediatek as well. Possibly the 1379 chipset. It may even be 1389 based but just no provision for divx in the firmware. I've read many comments about the Pioneer 575 having poor progressive scan yet the magazines never seemed to mention it. I guess they never bothered to try it. Many owners nowadays have such a large percentage of NTSC dvds that they don't actually care or notice about poor progressive pal output anyway.

One possibility is the player is sunplus based. Their chips are even cheaper than mediatek and they use de-interlacing technnology licensed from silicon image which should be superior to Mediatek's de-interlacer which as you found out is a bit weak.

I don't wish to knock mediatek though as they produce superb chipsets which are full of picture detail and don't have the chroma bug.

3. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +403
    All very interesting. Do you know of any other players that are sunplus based? Also, I'm assuming that Tosh players are Vadis based. Any others? I'm intrigued at the very real differences, even in cheaper players, between different types of video DAC.

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Toshiba players are mainly mediatek based now at least for the bottom end models. I think the 330 was 1379 or 1369 based and later models are 1389 based like the divx models. Sunplus based models that I know of tend to be budget chinese brand stuff. Because the sunplus chip is as far as I know the only mainstream dvd decoding chip based on a mips risc core rather than arm risc core it seems to be the chip of choice for players that have built in games like the model Datel/Codejunkies used to sell. However I think the other chipset companies have moved into designs with built in games now as well but sunplus were first.

There are a lot of dvd decoding logic chips out there but at the bottom end of pricing I would say Mediatek dominate with sunplus in second place.

My chipset of choice is zoran as I tend to prefer the output of players based on their chipsets.

5. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +403
    Which players use Zoran chipsets?

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Quite a few Samsungs, Arcams, Limit 900SE, Ebench KH6777, Top end Toshiba players (not midrange or budget). Loads of other brands too including cheap chinese brands but those chinese brands sell at step up prices to mediatek based players. I've just found out by sniffing around on various sites that both Sunplus and Zoran use Mips cores rather than Arm. Also Zoran and Sunplus seem to monopolise the marketplace for dvd players with built in games. Oh well learning all the time.