1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 30" LCD won't take PC input over HDMI?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by grw110, May 8, 2005.

1. grw110

grw110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a Philips 30PF9946D that won't take a signal from my PC over its HDMI input. It displays fine over the analog (vga i.e. 15-pin d-sub connector) input... but i get nothing when connecting via HDMI.

I'm using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter to feed the signal to the philips from the DVI output of my pc's graphics card. I've tried all the combinations of screen resolution and refresh rates the manual says the set supports - i.e. 800x600, 1024x768, 60Hz refresh rate, etc.

Any ideas?

thanks,
    glenn ward
    gward@NOSPAMblarg.net

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Do you get a Blue screen with a message of any sort? Something like 'This format is not supported' or similar.

Jimmy

3. grw110

grw110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [to jimsan's kind reply... nope, no error message / blue screen comes from Philips LCD; hence the difficulty diagnosing].

Turns out the problem was just HDMI being finicky about input signal ; a freind clued me in to this. I thought i tried all the possible combinations, but it turned out the display popped right up when I set the PC output to 1920x1080 at 60Hz, and 1280x720. I thought i'd tried those previously, but maybe I cycled through it too fast before LCD could lock on.

thanks all! and if anyone's interested in helping me with my NEXT problem ;-) ... the Philips looks terrible when rendering PC output, regardless of resolution. Is this because the HDMI only renders the two modes above, which are different than the screen's native pixel resolution? That's my hunch. Can anyone suggest a different large LCD model for use ONLY in displaying relatively static PC images output via DVI, i.e. Outlook / Firefox?...

If so, :) please see my post from today.

thanks!

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I get a lovely sharp, stable image on my 9986 with 1260 x 768 (60Hz) over DVI. I use an FX5200 Graphics Card. This, however, leaves a narrow band down each side of the screen, effectively making it a 15:9 picture. OK though. It is not possible to get a full native PC picture on the 9986 as any scaling makes the image rubbish. As you have found. Many have tried and tried....and failed.

The Hitachi 7200 seems to do OK at this though. there are a couple of threads on it which explain more....

Jimmy

5. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I phoned Philips today, after phoning around 2 months agao as my parents have this TV driven by MCE2005. At the time they acknowledged it as a definite bug, today they said they are still working on it but there will definitely be a fix.

Not sure whether to take that as a guarantee or not, but it certainly means it hasn't been resolved in the 2.4 firmware release.