1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

philips 30" LCD finally here (pic) - and what a rubbish manual!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by richard plumb, Jan 25, 2004.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    Here it is, finally picked it up this morning from JL Reading. Generally very happy - mounted it easily, and analogue TV looks great (except we get a dodgy ITV signal)

TV on the right will be going, so the whole right side of the 'lovely' fireplace will be freed up. Wires will be cleaned up eventually (prob. just trunking painted over)

Now then, to the settings. Got some basic ones looking alright, but can anyone post any recommendations?

I'm confused by the general settings (can you only adjust the 'personal' ones?) vs 'Active Control'.

How do the two interact? Does the active control supplement the settings you've already put in? The natural motion doesnt' seem to be settable at all, unless you set a level of active control.

Anyway, here are my current settings, and I'd appreciate any other successful options. Mostly just for Sky through Tivo, so any help cleaning up or avoiding MPEG noise would be helpful:

Active control - medium
    sharpness - 2
    tint - normal
    digital options - pixel plus
    dynamic contrast - medium
    DNR - maximum (assuming it'll help reduce MPEG artifacts)

colour - 68 - how do you adjust this? THX optimode only really does bright/contrast. Avia is too NTSC for colour.

Also, any way to map a number key to an input? I want to switch to EXT2 for Tivo, but can't seem to find an easy way, apart from going to channel 5 then pressing program +. Needs to be easy for my wife.

Attached Files:

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    There'll be a button at the top of the remote, for me it's the middle button on the first row (which is next to the power button).

It won't - it's for background noise like you get through an antenna. MPEG artefacts are very hard to get rid of while retaining picture detail.

3. Stackers

Stackers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Yeah mine just arrived too and you're right, crap manual!!!

Is it possible to set picture settings per connection? ie;

Ext1 Sky with Pixel Plus
    Ext2 DVD with Movie Plus

Or do you have to manually change settings everytime you switch between the 2?

BTW i read the thread about the TV only being 16:9. I must admit on Sky i've not noticed any difference with my old 32" CRT but maybe i should check closer!!!

How do you like the TV? I've found the picture quality to be mostly excellent, a few times i've thought it was a bit blocky but on the whole pretty good!

I haven't changes the settings much, pretty much out of the box. What are yours?

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    check out the 'settings' thread for my settings and a couple of others.

I actually sometimes find analogue TV looks better than sky - mostly because of pixellation and Tivo adds a bit too.

Don' t know about the inputs. You'd think, wouldn't you, but I currently only have one input to try.

Actually, I also have my PC hooked up at the mo, so I'll twiddle and see if it stores separate settings. Back in a bit..

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    yep, seems to have one 'personal' setting for each input - at least the VGA and EXT2 have.

BTW, if you get the chance to hook up your PC, do it.

Set your PC to 1024x768, go to wmvhd.com and download all the 720p demo clips, and play them through the screen to see what its really capable of.

It looks gorgeous, and thats with most processing turned off.

6. Stackers

Stackers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Cool!!! Do you have to do anything in particular to set that?

I'll check out your settings in the other threads. Any tips?

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    nope. When you go to each EXT, then bring up the picture menu, you can just select 'personal' from the smart picture option. Thats the one that lets you change the settings - the others are preset.

For PC connection, I just borrowed a VGA cable from work and hooked it up between my laptop and the screen. 1024x768, pressed the LCD/VGA button to send the picture out the back, and voila! Settings are limited in this mode though, and for zoom you only get 4:3 or widescreen.