1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 30" lcd arrived - not impressed!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by nobbydog, Sep 22, 2003.

1. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having a bit of trouble setting the Philips up to get a clear picture. I'm running a Sky box direct to the screen via scart, admittedley an old manky one that needs upgrading, but am getting a very 'blocky/noisy' picture. The best way I can describe it is like one of those crappy love song cd adverts where the whole image is shot through what looks like transparent, rippled wallpaper giving everything an uneven surface. Close up the problems can really be seen eg. an image of a person 2 or 3" high on screen is blurred and 'almost' unrecognisable. From a distance obviously things are better but nothing like clear. Anyway, what I must do is get things sorted now that I am £2k out of pocket. The advice I need is:

What brand of scart to upgrade to in the £20 bracket
    or:
    is there a better way by utilising either the the VGA input or the ones marked Y, Pb, Pr (sorry, not sure what the technical term for these is).

Curiously I seem to get a better picture (clearer/less didgital noise) on terrestrial via the aerial cable although sound quality suffers.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    :( :( :( :(

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    You should certainly start by ensuring that you are driving the TV with an RGB signal from $ky via a fully wired SCART, with the appropriate setting on the STB. And you should also evaluate your picture by viewing it from a sensible/normal distance. You are bound to see artefacts when you get 'up close'. Many people believe the digital compression artefacts to be less intrusive on terrestrial Freeview than via $ky, too.

3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I was interested in this TV though looking at it in shops the picture has been awful. I know Philips like their digital processing of pictures and was wondering if they do it on the LCD screens too. Are there any options in the menus for turning of 'natural motion' processing or whatever Philips may have used.

I'd be interested to know if there are things that can be turned off otherwise I'll be crossing this LCD off my list.

4. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,772
    Nobbydog,

Sounds like a scart cable that might not be wired for RGB and/or that the Sky box is not set to output RGB. If those settings are not set, you will get the worst picture possible.
    For Sky you won't get any better when that is sorted, but if you have DVD use the component inputs...

5. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks all for the comments, I'll give it a go when I've decided on the best scart for the money (£20'ish). While I'm on I've noticed comments from plasma owners who are suffering with lipsynch' problems (the plasma's, not the owners!!). Guess what, Ive got it on the lcd, last night on 'men & motors', really bad. I assume this is not down to the display but more to do with the quality of the broadcast/Sky box etc. Anyway, one step at a time!!

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Lip synch is inherent in the technology. Plasmas, LCDs and projectors all need to de-interlace a video signal to display on the screen. So there is a time penalty associated with the first field being buffered, second field being recieved and essentially merged with the first, then the de-interlaced result being displayed on screen. The usual fix is to delay the audio by roughly the same amount!! (either with an AV amp with such an option, or an effects box).