1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 28pw9617 - short review

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pixelpusher, Apr 15, 2002.

1. pixelpusher

pixelpusher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the Philips 28pw9617 at home - geometry is so bad i've returned it 5 hours later. Screen is like a flag - horizontal lines are bent. Checked other 28pw9617 systems in the store, same problem. Also greenish-goo effect on the lower right end of the screen. This is the last time I have bought Philips televison.

2. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear.... sounds like bit of a nightmare!.

I'm having the same model delivered on wednesday (also 28"), so obviously this isn't the kind of comment I want to read.

The only thing I can really say is that geometry can be rectified in the service menu (to some extent), so it's not quite the worst-case-scenario. The green blob sounds pretty indefensible though and IIRC the recent 6006 thread mentions something similar.

Hope the return went without a hitch, but could you describe the geometry problem more specifically? was it kinked in the middle? one specific corner? both corners?. Also, were there any 'fish-bowl' effects at the edges/top?. You've every right to return the set as it was clearly set-up appallingly, but like I said, certain types of bowing can be remedied....

Sorry you got such a bad apple! (I'll be very vocal if mine is anything like as bad as you describe!).

3. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well. I've just re-read the review in What Video & TV (Test data) and it distinctly says "'minor' converence trouble in far-right corner"....

Was this green blob a convergence error? 'cause if it was then (rightly or wrongly) this is apparently a known/acceptable quirk!. I'm going to remain calm and reserve judgement until my set arrives, but I'm not half as excited as I was....

4. pixelpusher

pixelpusher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was really, really excited about this telly. With my Creditcard ready I went to the store.. It showed a DVD - which looked great. So i asked for the remote control to be able to see Teletekst and 'normal' tv channels with logos and such. I was really dissapointed. I watched both the 28 and 32 model. The 32 model had a large bent in the bottom-right corner, which I found by itself reason enough for not buying the television. Then - when looking at Teletekst, the screen looked like a sort of Flag. The sort of thing which really bugs me (especially when flipping trough DVD menu's or Gamecube menu's)
    The 28 was even worse. My other telly (Panasonic 32pk20) has way better geometry and cost like at least half.

5. shaf

shaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I've had my tv set for 6 days now and I have not noticed any of these problems.

The only problem I have noticed is the digital artifacts that are sometimes visible when watching DVD's but these are occasional and moinor.

Its either my eyesight which is not picking up these faults or I've got a good apple from the bunch.

Shaf.