Philips 28PW9527 Picture Quality

M

marcop

Having purchased the new Pixel Plus 28PW9527 back at the end of July I was initially over the moon with the picture quality etc.
However over the next 2 weeks it went from bad to worse and got to the point where it could not display a solid colour, bad crazing between colour zones and the anything that moved had a blur behind the movement. The set has gone back to Philips repair agents and they say they can't fix it and now Philips are saying the set is in spec. So far I've used it for 3 weeks out of the last 3 months.

Is there anyone out there having a similar problem with these new Philips products.

I have written to the Customer Services Director 2 weeks ago, but he has yet to grace my letter box with an answer.

I wish I bought a SONY.

first off welcome to the avforum mate.i had a tosh 32zd26 that had faults i could not live with.so i got a philips 32pw9576 that at first was fine but after a few days it started to switch off on its own.now i have noticed 2 dark bars down the screen about 3" in from the left of the screen & 2" to the right of the middle of the screen. you can see them on dark stuff like blade 2 & when the camra pans the screen on football.plus sky has digital blocking not too bad.so i have an engineer coming friday & if these bars can not be fixed it will be going back.does yours have these bars? plus will they not let you swap for a sony?

Didn't have it long enough to not fine detail like dark bars.
Tip; If they send out a contract service company it's almost curtain that they will state that it has to go back to the repair shop. At this point they will have it for X weeks and say they can't improve on it. Then you will through a Moody and they will give it another go. Then they will call Philips and they will say it's in spec.

Welcome to the world of Philips customer service.

I hope you prove me wrong

no i will have no problems like that. i got mine from empire in bradford.who i got my tosh from they let me swap it for the philips no probs.& i will just swap it for a different make or get a refund & go back to watching my old jvc.as i have had nothing but hassle with these new tvs

Liverpool, I too had the dark bars, briefly. I had a problem with terrestrial tv sound coming through tv speakers when watching DVD, as per earlier thread from LONGSHANKS.

DVD was in ext1 when i had speaker problem. so moved to ext3, thats when i saw dark bars, about 1" to left and about 4/5" from right. Tried using composite ext2 as per longshanks suggestion and there were no bars, and no sound problems.

I didnt notice any bars whilst using ext1 thoughm but wasnt really looking for them. Don't know if having it in ext2 affects picture quality though, as ext2 is composite not rgb???? :confused:

do you know if they can be fixed. someone posted something before saying putting a ring round 3 wires in the tv sorted it but no one has confirmed it.

I saw that thread as well, seems a bit simple. dont know if it works.

I havent watched dvd for long, only switched sockets last nite. mite get chance to have a good look 2nite. There were no bars thru' ext2, but didnt know if picture was any better or worse. might try dvd thru' ext3, see how that fares.

This is my first widescreen, so im very new at this sort of thing. dont know too much about the technical side of things. This forum has been a great help.

Dont know if anyone else has tried to sort this problem out. I'll keep an eye out though. Not sure if i should get someone out to look at it.

Merci Beaucoup!

Thats about all the french I can remember. Should be able to get a translate thru' google tho. I don't fancy trying it myself, but will keep for if i get someone out to have a look.

Thanks again mitch91.

thats the one .is this a philips site that is saying how to fix it. or just someone who has tried it.

Gentlemen, Gentlemen

Are we not going a bit mad here, I agree it's interesting to fault find duff products, but surely the correction lies at the feet of the manufacturer. I can't think of any other product you buy for this money, where we are prepared to accept this level of poor service from the manufacturer.

It would seem to me that we are being sold a 'Brave New World' which is really like the 'Emperor New Clothes'

This is not just a ring it is a ferrite which reduces RF interference, so yes it should work if they have tested it probabily

You would need to use the correct dimensions and density for it to be completely effective.

For anybody sad enough to want any more information on ferrites have a look at http://www.elmac.co.uk/ferrite.htm.

You may be able to get one from RS http://rswww.com but as I have said you would need the right type.

If Philips have documented the fault you should be able to have the modification done under warranty.

MARCOP i agree with what you say.& i`m not prepared to accept the faults on this tv.no tv is perfect but 2 dark bars & dirty mark on the picture is not acceptable. & if it can`t be fixed it will be going back.

I agree too. We shouldnt be expected to pay this sort of money and live with the faults.

I got my tv from comet, do you think I should contact them or philips??

PAULJ
i`m going to show the engineer the fault on friday.then show him the supposed fix so that he can phone philips.to see if this doe`s get rid of those bars.

To Paulj

You should contact Comet first, as these are the people you have a contract with.

cheers marcop, this is first time ive done this sort of thing.

liverpool, hope engineer can shed some light. let us know how it goes. hope your tv's ok for tonights match!:)

cheers paul i`ll let you know what he says.most likely just try to get me to take a replacement but i`ll push for a fix to the problems.so other will be able to get rid of those dark bars.

I wrote a letter to Philips' customer services about the bars on my 32PW9527 and got a response within a week. Main points as follows:

"Please allow me to apologise on behalf of Philips for the difficulties you appear to have experienced with your model 32PW9527...... [stuff about making sure there were no magnets etc. near the set!]

In view of the circumstances and as it is your dealer who is responsible for the task of putting matters right we ask you to please contact Apollo 2000, who will be aware of the support that Philips can provide should this be deemed necessary.

I apologise for the disappointment you have suffered but I an sure that you will find this the best course of action to take."

Now to get onto Apollo 2000 and see what happens next!!

Thanks Gordon, think i'll get in touch with comet and see what they have to say, may have had other people report it.

Did you have any problem with tv sound coming thru' tv speakers when watchin dvd?

Nope, thankfully there's no sound breakthrough as that'd be something else to add to the list!!

Thanx Gordon. That was 1st thing I noticed, the sound breakthu', this only happended when i used ext1, but when i used ext3 thats when i got the dark bars. im using ext2 at the moment, and that seems fine.

Do you know if using ext2 composite, gives worse quality than using ext3 as this is rgb? I was under the impression u should rgb connection if possible.
:confused:

PAULJ rgb is in a different league to composite.so if you can`t use ext1 because of the problem you`ve got get it fixed or swaped.

Cheers Liverpool. I thought that was the case. If the dark bars can be got rid off i'll be ok, cos that was rgb ext3. I'll have another look when i get home tonight, just to make sure.

Good luck with the engineer 2moro, that may be my next step.

well the engineer has been & because my tv keeps switching its self off i have to have a replacment. i told him over the dark bars & he said he knows about them & when i get the new tv if it has them he will order the ferrite ring & fix it because it does get rid of it.plus the dirty screen mite beable to be fixed he is going to look it up today & tell me if it can be fixed.i should have the one monday so hopefully everything will get sorted.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom