1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 28PW9509 or Panasonic 28TXPM1 - can't decide!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by stupidboyjj, Nov 16, 2004.

Tags:
  1. stupidboyjj

stupidboyjj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello everyone, new user, first post..

Trying to decide which set to get, either the 28pw9509 or the 28TxPM1...

Has anyone got one of these and is actually HAPPY with them (only seem to read about problems on here!)? I know one is 100Hz and the other 50Hz, I'm not that bothered about fancy processing as I watch a lot of football so I don't know if I need the Philips, but can the processing be turned off at all? The Philips is a gorgeous looking set aesthetically but the Panasonic isn't bad either, although has much less in the way of Scarts/RGB inputs, but on the other hand is a few hundred pounds cheaper.

Any advice would be great - thanks in advance!

JJ

2. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

If you get a chance to view these TV's in the shop, do so before you buy (I presume from the internet)
    The Philips is a good TV (don't know about the Panny) and yes, you can switch between digital processing. 100htz is often easier on the eye but it depends if you can tell the difference.
    If the Panasonics picture looks as good, get it and save yourself some dosh.
    Good luck

3. stupidboyjj

stupidboyjj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that, the wife and I went to Currys to have a look/demo at some of the sets (had a look at the 32PW9509 as the 28" one doesn't appear to be available in the shops)..the Philips looked AWFUL. Absolutely AWFUL. The digital processing made everyone's faces a smear instead of well defined features. The Panasonic (again, the TX32pm1 rather than a 28" one) was much better being a normal 50Hz set. It didn't help that the clueless staff didn't have any ideas how to change anything in the menus! I'm not convinced by these 100Hz sets, certainly not enough to gamble hundreds of pounds on buying one.

On the way out, we passed a Sony Wega, I think it was the 28" HV15 model, it looked ace...and I can't remember now why we discounted Sonys from our selection!

Think we've decided on a Sony KD-28DX51 after reading much praise for it on these forums!

JJ