1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 28PW9509 Dilemma

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Tamco, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Tamco

Tamco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Recently purchased a Philips 28PW9509 widescreen tv which looked like i was happy with until the first time i viewed it at night. I was viewing the tv in an unlit room & noticed that all dark scenes & unlit dark scenes on screen appeared to be awash with a greenish luminence of various degrees depending on how dark the object on screen was. It was very annoying as it washed out any detail with this greenish colour. I then noticed that even with a blank black screen the greenish effect was very evident. I tried every combination of setting on the tv to remedy this problem. I have noticed it at daytime on light shadowed areas,but my eye is trained to it now. I got an engineer to view the tv ( through the day ) & he said it was fine. "It was not fine", anyway, i got it replaced for another new Philips but this one has the same problem but not to the same degree as the first. This replacement is alot better but would like to get to the bottom of the problem with this greenish luminence over the screen as it appears to be above the level of the images on screen.
    Any views on this issue from an engineer who has come across this problem & a possible adjustment to the tv in the service menu would be much appreciated.

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I'm slightly confused by your post. Are simply saying that black/very dark areas of the screen have a greenish colour to them ? Regards, yt.

3. Tamco

Tamco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi RED16V,

I`ll explain further - the entire screen has a green luminence to it but the blacker the scene, the greener the luminence. This is only very noticable at night with the room lights out.

4. EviL AnGeL

EviL AnGeL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What have you got your TV connected to and how? Does this happen from all sources ie Satellite, DVD etc or just from one source? Do you have this connected via an RGB scart lead? Could be a fault with the scart. What level is your contrast at by the way.

5. Tamco

Tamco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    It produces this effect no matter which source i use ie - (terrestrial tv,dvd,sky or freeview).All scarts react the same, adjusting contrast to 100% makes it slightly better but makes normal well lit scenes too vibrant. There dosn`t seem to be a happy medium.
    any ideas evil angel

6. EviL AnGeL

EviL AnGeL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contrast really should be down at about 40-60. High contrast does have the effect of making blacks look more gray-greenish. Especially if coupled with high brightness. Heres my settings from my Philips 9309. Took 2 days of twiddling before I was happy and I may play with it more yet.

Contrast - 57
    Brightness - 43
    Colour - 40
    Sharpness - 1
    Tint - Cool (personal preference)
    Dynamic Contrast - Medium

Also turn off active control and try turning the colour enhancement on and off if you haven't done so already. I wouldn't say this is a fault more a settings issue or just something inherent with that model TV as if you have had 2 and they are both the same the odds are against getting 2 faulty TV's in a row with the exact same problem.

If you can't sort it then I can only suggest changing to a different make/model.

7. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I had a green problem after 3 years with my Philips 28" and it needed a repair. I cant remember what the problem was but the repairer said it was a common fault with Philips various models.
    If yours is still new I'd return the set and perhaps try a different make as you will end up looking for faults with your current one.

8. Tamco

Tamco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run my settings almost identical to yourself as i know running the default factory setting reduces the life of the tube because there set far too high. I also have the colour ehancement switched off as well as active control & tried various combinations of active contrast & dnr, to no avail.
    I love this tv, the pixel plus 2 is totally amazing, i`ve got a toshiba 36zp48 in my lounge & although its a great tv, the picture quality & detail has no contest compaired to the 9509. Maybe i`m just being abit picky, but as i watch this in my bedroom with the lights out the green luminence can get rather distracting. I don`t realy want to change it again because this one is far better than the first - which suffered more from the green luminence & the geometry was way out & this one is perfect geometry wise.
    I would just like to get to the bottom of this green luminence effect as theres bound to be some adjustment - whether its inside the tv or in the service menu that can lessen this issue.

9. Tamco

Tamco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pwood appreciate your input on this matter.
    I don`t think it`s a fault as such but more likely to be some kind of adjustment because the first philips i got was far worse & totally unwatchable - this one is better, so this is what makes me feel that it is a setup problem, either inside the tv or in the service menu.

10. Tamco

Tamco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cured my problem of the greenish tinge while viewing black/dark scenes - reduced the green gun in the service menu by 6 points as i had noticed they were abit higher than the red & blue.

TV IS PERFECT AT LAST.

11. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, for some reason I didn't see your reply yesterday. From your description you have described a classic 'fault' with any crt. I put the word 'fault' in quotes because it isn't a fault really but an adjustment in the service menu. The adjustment to carry out is the 'cutoff' for the green gun - this affects the bias of the green gun near black levels. However I see that you have already found the service menu and adjusted 'something' - either the green 'cut off' or green 'gain' - provided you are happy with the picture now I'll sign off !! Regards, yt.