1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 28PW6526 any good?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Kevin Clark, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Kevin Clark

Kevin Clark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read stacks of posts about problems with the Philips 6515. Is the 6526 just as bad or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks

kev

2. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if there are the same problems but this model looks exactly the same (tube and box) as the 6515 and probably is. However I have had a 32" 6515 for a week and I think its brill. I haven't noticed any of the problems that others have mentioned. Perhaps its just the 28" model. Can anyone else give us some feedback?

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Yeah, The 6526 IS the 6515 just with Pro-Logic speakers. But I must clear one thing up, the 6515 isn't a bad set by any means, it just has some problems you should be aware of if you plan to buy one.

The problems being essentially with Philips' Real Flat tube, which is Real Junk. Not only is it not flat - okay, I know no CRT is really flat, but Philips' tube is less flat than other manufacturers'. For example, it curls massively in the corners. There are big geometry problems associated with this tube and they are present throughout the Philips' flat screen range (Not really surprising when they all have the same tube) The multi-award-wining 9616 has dodgy geometry and the recent Digital 9625 has too - they all have. I'm not guessing, I've seen it on every set in the range, including the glossy ebony one.

It's nearly impossible to spot the distortions when the set is in SuperWide mode, but feed a widescreen source through it and you'll see more bends than a hall of mirrors. People on this board who've said that there's nothing wrong with their set, just haven't noticed yet (or perhaps, never will) I've been into the service menu of the TV and could not improve on the factory set up.

Then again, geometry problems don't seem to bother everyone. For instance, the 28" Philips 6826 which is a 6515 with a DVD player mounted in its chassis got five stars for its picture in a HCC review last month. And they rated its geometry as 'Good'.

Aside from the bends, the picture really is about as good as CRTs get. I've never seen better convergeance than Philips' manage. It seems to be their forte, in much the same way as Tosh sets always have a bit of red bleed. Like Tosh sets, Philips always sound good, and of course the design... the design speaks for itself.

4. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I read on another forum that Philips were having supply issues with their own Real Flat CRT's and started to use other manufacturers tubes, one in particular being Panasonic. Maybe this is the problem and we should insist on Philips TV's having the better Philips CRT.

Apparantly you can see the CRT make by looking through the case slots on the left ? hand side.

Being as the quality of the CRT is what makes the TV then aren't Philips breaking some consumer law.

5. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
  6. Kevin Clark

Kevin Clark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've just got back from Currys and quite frankly, they ALL have a curve. There were two 6515's next to each other. One was perfect, the other had about 3mm of curve at the top corners, but so did a sony and a panny etc etc.

:-/

Kev

7. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I bought a Philips 32PW9616 and it has a curved CRT. It is not Philips' CRT but a Panasonic, the same one they use in their TAU range.

Philips' genuine Real Flat CRT is flat vertically and nearly flat horizontally. I had a previous Philips, the 32PW8707 which had the proper CRT. Standing close and looking down at the tube, you could notice a slight horizontal bulge. Sitting in front of it, it would appear completely flat. The Panasonic CRT never does, not even when you sit dead center at normal viewing distance (3 meters).

It seems the use of Panasonic tubes started in the 36" range quite some time ago. I do not know if Philips has manufactured own 36" CRT's in the past.

For the 32" wide 100Hz models, I know the following tubes have been used:
    Philips W76ERF031X044 - older sets
    Philips (LG.Philips) W76ERF041X044 - more recent sets
    Panasonic (MDDG) W76EKW10X73 - current sets

Tube codes breakdown:
    W - Widescreen TV CRT
    76 - Viewable diagonal in cm
    ERF - CRT family
    041 - Family member
    X - Color CRT
    044 - Deflection coil type

Philips are not very helpful on the issue and they have not informed retailers. Their Swedish customer support has however claimed to me the CRT will vary from batch to batch depending on supply.