1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 28PW6518C or Pana. TX28PM1C (both 28'')

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bruce1234, Nov 6, 2004.

1. bruce1234

bruce1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone!

Ive manages to up my budget to +- £300.Taking your advice Tight Git and am now interested in either of these two 28'' widescreens,the philips being £299 and the panasonic £329.The philips was raved about on another forum however someone questioned whether youd have problems couple years down the line (needless to say he got the Panasonic).

Which of these options would you go for?

Thanks!! :)

2. TVhomejs

TVhomejs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wonder what forum you're referring to? And what sort of problems?

Philips 28/32PW6518 is one of this year's "top" 50 Hz models in the new series with L04-chassis (all launched in the beginning of this year and all with the digit "8" in the end). So mentioned after number of features they are: Philips 6618 (Real Flat Black Line S tube, Digital Crystal Clear with Comb Filter, Virtual Dolby Surround, Picture-In-Picture - PIP - with two tuners, and of course Picture-And-Text - PAT - and Twin Page Text), 6558 (minus PIP), 6518 (minus PIP (and PAT?), Crystal Clear III in stead of Digital Crystal Clear), 6408 (special variant of this in Scandinavia with 6506-design and FM: 6509) (minus the before mentioned, only Scan Velocity Modulation - Scavem -and Twin Page Teletext, the "old" Incredible Surround (useless!) in stead of Virtual Dolby, channel installation with no sorting feature, cut down menu system where you simply push the menu-button of the remote and then one -one! - line is shown - e.g. "Brightness" - and you have to scroll up and down the different controls, always only seing one line. You can't adjust colour temperature or treble/bass. There are no "personal" settings for picture or sound you can store and return to. Whatever you choose in menu are stored when left, but different for each AV-connection. All the usual Philips zoom-options (e.g. Continuous Zoom) are there, and they work for all AV-connections.

My experiences: Had a 32PW6558 with good sound, but poor picture quality. Especially with aerial connection. It had a bluish tone where it should be grey. Very dark and very bright scenes were hard to distinguish. Some red and green colours were too red and green. A colour burst pattern showed dark shadows inside green and magenta vertical stripes. And an uneven saturation of these colours with rising frequencies. Returned the TV.

Then had a 28PW6509 (a variation of 6408): Again a clear sound, and again poor picture with aerial connection. Too much noise. Poor colour saturation. Better picture with RGB. Fine saturation and natural colours. But alas: Heavy so called moiré and rainbow-effects. Also "ringing", e.g. around snooker balls.
    Had never experienced these typical composite effects so badly with RGB before at any TV set. Also black and white "hard clipping" as with 6558. in general the picture was "cartoon"-like. Returned the TV.

At a norwegian forum Philips 32PW6518 has been recommended for it's picture quality with aerial connection. Very detailed picture. But personally I've become rather sceptical towards these low priced TVs with L04-chassis, mostly made in Hungary or Poland.

Panasonic PM1? If it's like PS1 I would try something else first.

3. bruce1234

bruce1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Back to the drawing board for me then!

They're actually reviews from people that had bought the products concerned,about 15 reviews for the Phil. and 1 for the Pana.They all had glowing things to say about ttheir tv's.Apologies for the mix up,there was no forum there!The chap that bought the panasonic raised the point he thought Philips tv's could have prob's after a couple of years(the only issue he raised).

Thats it.Anymore advice on getting a tv to a max of £300 still appreciated.

Cheers. :)

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Thanks, Bruce. :thumbsup:

You've made my day, although Mrs TG has questioned your sanity. :laugh:

Hope the Forum will help you decide, and that you enjoy whichever TV you choose.

5. bruce1234

bruce1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh Mrs TG's right,am am abit insane I guess( :laugh: ).Sure the right tv will come along,Im swaying back to my 1st thread and the Goodmans 28'' from Comet £199,cant go wrong at this price.

Anyway,Cheers!