1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 28PW6517 - really annoying problem. Engineer cannot help!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by MattyNeth, Nov 25, 2004.

1. MattyNeth

MattyNeth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Philips 28PW6517 TV and combo (with DVD and VCR) in May for Euro 2004. Everything was perfect to start with, but in September a rather annoying high pitched noise started to develop intermittently. Usually when bright white appeared on the screen. Sometimes it wouldn't happen at all, sometimes it would happen as soon as I turned the TV on, and other times after 2 or 3 hours of it being on.

I called the electrical retailer in question, and they sent an engineer out. He asked me to turn it on and then said "Well I can't hear it!". I explained that it doesn't happen all the time, but when it does you cannot watch the TV as it spoils the viewing experience. He replaced the linearity coil and said that that solves 99% of high pitched sounds as the coil works loose and vibrates causing the noise. Anyway that didn't help and he came back this week and replaced the transformer saying after that there was nothing he could do.

Well watching football last night, the noise was back and I had to turn the TV off - incredibly annoying.

What are my rights here? Can I take the TV back to the retailer and ask them to switch it - I still have the original receipt. Can I get my money back (my preferred option) as this is the first TV I have ever had a problem with, and after this experience I never want a Philips again. :thumbsdow

Any help for this newbie to the forum? :thumbsup:

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well the engineer who visited you has changed exactly the right components to try and solve your fault - it is a 'common fault' and he changed all that could reasonably be expected in your front room. Possibly then the fault lies in the Switched mode PSU. If you are happy that the fault will occur some time after it is switched on then you should ask them to take the tv back to their workshop and put it on soak test - when the fault occurs in the workshop they will then be able to witness it first hand and cure it. This 'common fault' could occur on any set so please do not be too harsh on Philips. Regards, yt.

3. MattyNeth

MattyNeth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Red.

The first time he came round he said if he had to come out again (to replace the transformer) then he wanted to hear the noise. Well it didn't happen when he was there. I'm confident if it was put on a soak test then they would hear it, but as I mentioned sometimes it doesn't happen for literally hours and when it does..... Would someone be prepared there to sit in front of it non-stop for 2,3,4 hours before hearing this noise? Seems to happen when the TV gets warm?

4. lemonhead

lemonhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,

I've got the same TV, mine gives a high pitched buzz virtually every time it's switched on from cold. Normally disapears after about 10/15 minutes but sometimes it doesn't. TV's approx 6 months old & has been like it right from when I got it. TBH i've got used to it & as it normally goes when it's warm I never did anything about it, but if it doesn't dissapear after it's warmed up it does start to annoy after a couple of hours.

5. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well I stand by my earlier comments. Of course you would not expect the tv engineer to sit in front of your tv for hours waiting for the fault to happen. You should insist he take it back to the workshop and put it on soak test there. He will then power it up in the corner of the workshop and get on with some useful work until he hears the whistle himself - then it will be time for him to investigate and give it his undivided attention. Regards, yt.

6. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Retailer must replace if unit cannot be fixed to a satisfactory standard.

7. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mattyneth,

Sorry to hear of your problem, it must be so irritating.

Go to Google and put philips 6517 in the box and use the Search the Web. On the first page that comes up, go to the ninth entry entitled "AV Forums S - Sony Dav S550: New System/Advice. This is an entry from the archives of this forum. It might give you some help with the connections as this is to do with the buzzing on a Philips 6517. We have some extremely knowledgeable members on this forum as you will gather from reading this. I am not one of them!

Don't bother reading the Review Centre entry pm the same page as someone had also asked for help with buzzing on this tv and there was no satisfactory answer.

I hope there will be an easy solution to your problem. Good luck.