Philips 28PW6517 Picture Distortion

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by andyboy, Apr 30, 2004.

1. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Philips 28PW6517 TV and I have a problem with the picture

When anything pans across the screen ie left - right / right - left there appears to be a distortion effect on the image, it's difficult to expalin but it appears to curve causing it to look like the image is moving closer to the front of the tube and is very noticeable on Aliens when the shot of the earth and space station pans on in the 3rd chapter and on LXG when the camera pans across the rooftops of london.

Another example is when TV credits scroll accros the bottom or top the screen from right to left - they appear to curve onto the screen, flatten out as normal and then curve off the left side again !

I don't know what is causing this and have tried 2 different DVD players as well as different Scart leads but to no effect. Could this be caused by having my HC setup too close to the TV ?

I have a Denon AVR1803 amp, Gale 30 Series Floorstanding Speakers, Sony DVPNS300 dvd player, PS2, Xbox and a Sony video recorder on racking next to the telly (not the speakers of course !)

I hopd someone knows what this is because I thought it was a fault on the Sharp I had but obviously it's something else completely.

2. CyBeRkId2002

CyBeRkId2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    so weird seeing this cos i got my new 6517 yesterday and which dvd did i give it a try with....Aliens!

Noticed exactly the same problem with mine, was just hoping it was something to do with the way it was filmed as it didnt have the same problem on TV channels etc... Does anyone know whats causing this and how i could get rid of it???

3. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Sounds to me as if the geometry in the middle of the screen is out.

Call an engineer out, unless you fancy going into the service menu and having a fiddle.

4. CyBeRkId2002

CyBeRkId2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    is it free to call out an engineer??? only bought the tv bout 3 days ago so dont want to have to pay more already... does anyone know if it could be a weird lens used in the filming of aliens cos so far havent noticed it with anything else...

5. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    It is free for an engineer if the TV is still under warranty.

If you haven't seen it anything else, then I'm sure nothing is wrong.

6. CyBeRkId2002

CyBeRkId2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    Have started to notice this at some point on practically everything im watching now... what do you lot think i should do? Tempted to call an engineer but dont want him to come round and think ive called him out for nothing...

Generally its not too bad but can be quite distracting on certain scenes. How difficult is it to adjust the settings in the service menu, more specifically how easy is it to mess the settings up and write off a tv?

Would appreciate an answer asap because im getting extremely tempted to give this a go now...

Cheers,
    Michael

Ps. Which setting would i have to change in the service menu? would it be something like vertical bow???

7. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My experience with TV engineers would suggest that you don't call one out! He'll (or she'll....ahem!) not be bothered to fix it and fob you off with some lame excuse ('it's a digital thing!' or 'that's normal for this set!').

8. CyBeRkId2002

CyBeRkId2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    and what should i definately avoid!

9. CyBeRkId2002

CyBeRkId2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +125
    thats what i thought...so do you have any experience with philips service menus? i really dont know what to do, dont want to ruin a tv i only got a few days ago... £300 is a lot for a student :)

10. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Now you mention it, mine does the same thing and I've had mine a year, but it's not serious.

If your general viewing is ok, I wouldn't worry about it, as it is normal for a TV to have slight geometry imperfections.

Get hold of a test card and check the geometry that way. I did and it's bang on, even if the credits do wobble slightly when going across the screen.

:)

11. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm not sure they can do anything about it - generally, as far as I know, horizontal linearity and S-correction are carried out by the design of the deflection yoke and components on the tube. It's probably a 'feature' of the tube and something visible on most TV's more or less if you look for it, even though it might vary a little from set to set.

Camera images are not a good source to judge this from, since they have some optical distortion producing a similar effect. Aliens probably has a lot of this since it's shot with wide lenses and have a lot of optical miniature shots. But horizontally scrolling titles are usually a good way to tell.

From what I understand from your description, the image appears wider in the middle and narrower near the edges, as opposed to being narrower in the middle and wider near the edges? If so, I recognize this effect from many other sets I've watched.