Philips 28PW6517/05 - switching off

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by lmc148, Apr 21, 2007.

1. lmc148

lmc148

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a Philips 28PW6517/05 which is approx. 2-3 years old now (so not old) & it has started to just switch itself of then back on again, for about a week now. Sometimes it really struggles to turn back on again, it just keeps clicking as if it's trying to but can't & I've had to turn it off. It happens really randomly - after a few minutes or a few hours, only once at a time or several times in quick succession. :(

I started Googling & came across this forum. :) I then narrowed it down to the dreaded Painter chip, but when I contacted a TV repair firm recommended on this forum to replace it by post, they told me that the Philips 28PW6517/05 doesn't have the Painter chip. Don't know if I'm pleased or not because although I was peed off :censored: about it I thought I'd found what the problem was & how much it was going to cost to repair. Do any of you TV boffs out there have any clue as to what the problem may be? Is it possible that as this model is newer than the others with the Painter chip that this could be the start of another chip problem rearing its ugly head?

Anyway, I'm not sure what to do now. Is it worth getting someone out to look at it (God knows how much that will cost - & double the price in London! :eek: ) or should I just cut my losses & invest the money I would spend on call out/repair on a new telly?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Lynn

2. Medusa

Medusa
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think it uses a L1.1E chassis you can check and confirm the chassis number which is below the Model No.

If it is, there could be numerous possible fault causes.

Dry joints
    Line Drive stage: C2455 47mF-25v
    TUBE: Faulty Intermittent
    Screen Voltage Adjustment

The only way to find out is to let a TV Engineer have a look.
    The Engineer will able to confirm if it is the TUBE causing the fault or not.

Investing in a New TV might be a Wise decision.

3. lmc148

lmc148

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else have any views on this or know a good/cheap repair engineer in NW London?

Cheers

4. Mofoman

Mofoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I wouldn't buy a new TV just yet, as it sounds to me very like the Tv either has an intermittent power fault, or just a dry joint somewhere, both of which could be easy fixes, especially dry joint's.

So contcat a good reliable firm in that area and get it checked out, if it cost's too much to repair, then buy a new TV, a new CRT TV.

5. Medusa

Medusa
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    They can be easly fixed if you know how too.:rolleyes:

Minimum charge:

NORTH ₤59.00
    MID ₤89.00
    SOUTH ₤149.99+VAT

Regardless of what’s wrong with it, they are not going to tell you “it was a dry joint Sir” and slap a ₤100 bill on it .That’s way there in business to make money and you’re here to get ripped off. :mad:
    So once again find out what’s wrong with it and how much it’s going to cost in London? :rolleyes:

Then decide…..and don’t get a CRT? :devil:

Get an LCD or Plasma if you prefer and not to forget you can hang it on the wall out off harms way and it looks a lot better then CRT renting that ground space, would rather have a Banana Tree. :D

6. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    What a very useful reply. :rolleyes:

7. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    I can't work out if you're being serious or tongue-in-cheek and I don't know where you get those figures from but they do not represent an accurate picture of the TV servicing industry in the UK and you sir are doing an already dying trade a great disservice with these statements. IMHO. :lesson:

8. Medusa

Medusa
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Sorry! JayCee, was not that serious! :D

But what are the figures for a "TOP BRAND" TV Repair from 28” and above?

North …? :lesson:
    Mid……..? :lesson:
    South….? :lesson:

Please Sir give us an accurate picture will be most appreciated.:devil:

9. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    I have no idea since I don't work/live in any of those areas but let's put it this way...anyone who charges the amounts you quoted won't be in business for much longer.

10. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm not sure the quote for the North is that far out - a dry joint fix in my CRT would have cost at least £50 (got a new secondhand one instead...)

11. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Not necessarily...I repair TVs (and other electronic products) for a living and have repaired (and still do) quite a few 28" sets for a lot less than £50.00 depending on the fault and/or parts required.
    Any self-employed TV repairmen still in business these days (doing repairs only, no TV sales) have to pitch their repair charges just right in order to get the job and scrape a living because the customer always makes the point that they can get a new (cheap crt) set from ASDA/Tesco/Argos or wherever for £xxx...so if their repair estimate is on the high side...the customer's off to the shops and that's another job lost!
    I can assure you any self-respecting honest TV repairmen won't be giving too many estimates at £89 + parts these days...they can't afford to lose the work.
    Sure, the bigger repair companies with a fleet of engineers, vans and wages and high overheads to contend with may charge £89 but at least they know if the repair estimate isn't accepted they can always sell the customer a new set.

12. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    My last post in this thread was deleted soon after posting. Reason was "No need to add to what's already been said by the forum moderator"

All I said was this was another reason I had fallen out with this forum, yet another fool spewing utter nonesense. (Referring to 'Medusa's' post of course)

I assume by the fact this particaular fool has been banned the forum moderator agrees with me. ;)

I agree with JayCee's points completely. Furthermore, no matter what the industry, small businesses of any type won't last too long if they robbed their customers as this fool suggests TV repairmen do.

For the record, our minumum charge is £35. If the fault is simple and straight forward, that's all the customer pays. But then again, I am 'up north'. :devil:

Lynn - I bet you didn't expect this kind of response to your simple question, did you?

Forums of this type can be very useful. There are some very knowledgeable, genuinely very helpful people on AV Forums. Sadly, they are also frequented by sad 'think they know it all' individuals spewing utter nonesense for a bit o' sport.

How did you get on?

("a TV repair firm recommended on this forum.") :D

13. mentore

mentore
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If one thinks that repair costs to a CRT TV are exorbitant ,I understand that for LCDs and Plasmas requiring attention the cost will be even more so.

I really do think that this push to hang-it-on-the-wall sets is being generated by the "sheds" because there is a bigger profit in it for them.:devil:

14. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    I wonder if 'Richy65' and 'Medusa' are the same person...... :hiya:

15. lmc148

lmc148

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cor blimey! No, I didn't expect this, but thanks for your replies.

To be honest I started looking on the internet for a new (cheap) TV but didn't find anything I liked for under £250 & the ones I quite liked were £400 +++ !), so thought I'd look into getting the Philips repaired as it's worth more & I love the sound on it.

I continued watching it until 2 days ago when it finally gave up - switches itself off more than it stays on now - & I now have a tiny portable in the sitting room which is DIRE! :(

At the moment I do not want to incur a call out charge, especially as I don't know what the problem is & if I will go ahead with repair. I managed to do my back in about 6 weeks ago & I'm still recovering & you know just how big these 28" TVs are... So, I'm going to give it a couple of weeks, ring a local repair shop to discuss with them first (Googled quite a few locally) then my Hubby & I will get it to them in the car.

I must admit I do feel apprehensive about it as I know nothing about TVs & I feel the same as when I take my car to the garage...sorry, it's just how I feel. :blush: That's why I thought I'd get some advice here first & was almost relieved (but furious!) when I thought I'd tracked it down to the Painter chip on this forum. Also I agree that things are just soooo much more expensive in London.

When I eventually get it to a repair shop I'll let you know what the problem was & the repair charge.

As I said, thanks for all your advice. :thumbsup:

Cheers
    Lynn

16. lmc148

lmc148

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I promised an update.

I got a TV repair man to look at my TV about 4 weeks ago. He couldn't find a specific problem but spent time resoldering over the soldering. He also changed a condenser as he said this model suffers with a condenser problem, although he said my condenser looked OK. The TV was working again, but just as he was about to go it turned off & back on again. He said he would have to take it for a soak test.

Several days later he said he still hadn't found a problem, he's done some more resoldering but it had turned itself off once on the soak test & there was nothing more he could do. He brought it back & charged me £65.

The TV played up a few times, but worked well for a while, but over the last few days has been getting worse again, much more quickly than last time.

I now need to buy a new TV.

I'm particulary peeved as very recently my local Sainsburys had a Bush 28" IDTV for £150 & I didn't buy it because I was hoping to get my Philips fixed. They don't have any left now.

There are few CRT TVs on the internet & they tend to be unknown brands & not that cheap!

So I'm back to square one!!! :suicide:

17. paul-av-tech

paul-av-tech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If the repair engineer was an established chap, he should honour the original charge and have another look at it. I would expect to pay for any parts though.

As has already been stated, the set does not have the dreaded painter IC - not the same chassis. It has a few known issues from software corruption to other problems.

You stirred up a bit of a hornets nest though :) - and nice to see that most people realise that us poor engineers by and large do tell the truth about what is wrong - sometimes to our own financial detriment.

Bottom end of South East Kent - labour charges from £34 for CTV rising to £55 for BIG sets which need to come into the workshops plus parts... Compare that and other figures quoted against your local car service agents charges...

People tend to forget (or ignore) the fact that labour charges should not be related to the cost of the appliance. (unfortunately they tend to be) They need to cover all the overheads and leave the engineer with a salary at the end of the month.