1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 28PW6515

Discussion in 'TVs' started by micks_address, Jun 17, 2002.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi folks,

Well after being bored on Friday i went shopping online and bought the tv. I read loads of stuff about geomtry being funny on one side etc but i went for the tv. I won't have it till the weekend but it'll be a nervous few days waiting?. I checked out a few makes and each one seemed to have differing problems. Has anyone had a good experience with the phillips?

Any opinions would be encouraging!

Thanks,
    Mick

2. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mick,

I've had the 32" model since Jan and it is fine. No significant problems at all. Superb picture. Good build and it looks good.
    Best of luck as I also had a worrying few days before it turned up.

3. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    A friend of mine too has the 32" version too. Can't see any of the geometry probs that were reported on the 28" in previous threads. Good luck!

4. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 32" model and its just pants. The geometry is all over the place. Have got the engineer out a few times and have now relegated it to the bedroom and bought a new matsui 32" for £400. Its much better than the £999 philips.

Just in case you didnt follow.

DONT BUY A 6515!!!!!

5. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Well the tv is being deliver tomorrow so i'll report back Monday - hopefully it won't be horror story!

6. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi folks,

Got the tv delivered Saturday. It looks very nice set up on the stand but as always the pictures is what counts and I'm happy to report that the tv's fine. Before this I had a Sony 32" FQ. Apart from the scrolling bar problem that was a fine set so I thought I'd be very depressed with the 28" phillips but I'd have to say it surprised me over the weekend.

The geometry is fine on the phillips - on the Sony the picture noticably dipped down in the top right corner but everything's very well lined up on the phillips. I did a quick check with a test patern off the T2 DVD and the only noticable problem on the phillips was some RGB shift to the left. My Sony had this as well. I assume it caqn be tweaked through the service menu?

One change I had to make was to the sharpness setting. I had to set this to 0 on the phillips (as on the Sony). Writing on some pictures was way to sharp.

As for colour representation - Id have to say the pictures on the phillips win out on the Sony for me. I have a Sony NS900 dvd player and it seems to work much better with the phillips. The picture was too dark on rgb with the FQ but on the phillips the different video settings on the dvd player actually make sense...

The only gripe I have is that I think I can see some flicker on the phillips cause its only 50 hz but this may be my imagination and I'll get used to it over time.

For the moment it'll keep me going......

Cheers,
    Mick