1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 28PW6515 - Picture processing probs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by John Jennings, Sep 5, 2001.

1. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Anybody out there got one of these? I've got one on back order at the moment, but I've just come across some negative posts on here from a couple of months ago. As such, I'm considering cancelling the order. A couple of you noticed the following;

When a film quickly changes from a dark image to a bright image you get artefacts (little black rectangles) left behind for half a second or so. Some also mentioned a really nasty bend in the geometry on the right of the screen.

Now, I've spent some time in front of it in show rooms and can't see the problems at all. I'm wondering if it's something that's been fixed on recent models, as the original messages said Philips were 'looking into it'.

Anyone got one of these and have you seen the problems? If you could let me know when you bought it too.

Cheers, <br />John

[ 05-09-2001: Message edited by: John Jennings ]</p>

2. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

4. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers for the reply, but it was pretty definitely a prob with the TV. Engineers reported it was something to do with the electron guns overfiring or something.

The right-hand side prob was apparently a nasty fishbowl effect, so probably not due to the left-shift on RGB signals.

A couple of guys on the list were waiting for a fix from engineers. Just wondered if it was now fixed on all new models.

John

5. Jobby

Jobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I started the original post on these TV's a couple of months ago, and if you read through the original post <a href="http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000887" target="_blank">here</a> the problem is explained a little bit more.

The blocks that appear only last for one frame (1/50th) of a second and are not to do with DVD or digital tv source. It happens through analog RF signals too. They do appear as 'digital noise' and it's something to do with the processing and gain on the guns. See the original post.

I have a DVD that I play where I can repeat this effect and it happened on the Philips TV, but not on another. It's pretty hard to see to begin with, but if you are picky you will see it. I never saw it in a showroom, because you don't get to spend long enough looking at the screens with the right sort of material being shown on them. (It's more apparent during adverts when the screen has rapid light changes)

I had two of these TV's then after talking about it here decided to give up. However, it looks like this if possibly getting sorted. If so I'll be buying this TV again, because it is very good for the money. The sound is excellent and the picture is cool after a bit of tweaking on the personal settings. IE. Turning down the sharpness.

Check out the other post mentioned above for the latest on this.

6. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers for the info Jobby, but I've decided not to take the risk anyway. Even if the picture processing faults were fixed the geometry issues would do my head in because I watch so many old 4:3 formatted TV shows from the 60s and 70s.

Basically, I've gone for a cheaper Philips (the PW6006) as a stop gap until IDTV becomes cheaper and 100Hz processing gets sorted out.

I'd still be interested in finding out if the probs on the 6515 get sorted out though.

John