1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 28PW6515 Blocky processing fault on two sets so far! Anyone else seen this?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Jobby, Jun 14, 2001.

1. Jobby

Jobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've just bought a Philips 28PW6515 and I was pretty pleased with it after playing with the personal setting for a bit.

However, after a while I started to notice somthing like digital noise occuring for one frame (at 50hz) whenever the screen jumps from very dark over most of the screen to bright white over a large portion of the screen.

This error occurs on all input methods (SCART/RF etc) . The 'digital noise' is a random spread of dark rectangles, sometimes horizontally stretched sometimes almost square and they last for one frame, so they are very hard to see, until you've seen them once. (Then of course you see them all the time!) The TV needs to have been on for about 20 minutes I think, before the noise occurs. If you leave it on Standby, this counts as ON.

I had an engineer come out who recorded this as an 'intermittent processing fault' and I had the TV replaced as it was very new.

Got the new set back yesterday, plugged everything in and everything seemed fine for a while, but, annoyingly the same thing occurred again.

This is really annoying. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether this is a known fault of the 28PW6515 and whether it is fixable, or whether I have been incredibly unlucky in getting two sets with exactly the same problem. :confused:

I am wondering whether to send it back and get a model by a different manufacturer, something I'd rather not do, because I quite like the set. I am guessing this is some kind of digital processing fault by the looks of it.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jobby

I had exactly the same problem on a 32pw6515.

Like you I got a repalcement which had the same problem. My supplier (QED) said that there is a fix for it and it can be done by the engineer from the Service menu. Apparently it's something to do with a setting on the Contrast.

I didn't have mine fixed or risk another one 'cos I've heard there have been loads of problems with Philips recently and my second set had a ripple on the screen in one corner that apperared to be a manufacturing fault.

I got a different TV altogether in the end but I must admit it was a tough decission because the Philips was a brilliant set for the money.

If you are otherwise happy with it and you've got no other problems it's probably worth getting the engineer back to do the necessary adjustment.

Cheers
    OG

3. pedwar

pedwar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I just bought a 32PW6515C a couple of days ago from QED and I believe I have the same problem too. Wish I'd have known this at the start of the week! :)

Does anyone know if the 'Contrast Fix' by an engineer that OG mentioned works? Does anyone know what they actually do? Do they just turn the contast down so you can't see the problem or something?

I'll give QED a call later on and see what they suggest. I'm glad it wasn't just me going mad.

Apart from the above mentioned problem and the funny pre-set colour schemes it's a lovely TV (with a bit on tinkering on the personal picture settings a lovely picture can be obtained).

Any other troubled 6515 owners out there?

-Paul

4. Jobby

Jobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys, nice to know I am not on my own.

I rang Philips yesterday and got through to customer support. I don't think the guy I spoke to had any idea what I was going on about and told me I was just very unlucky to have had two bad sets. I didn't really agree with this and I didn't want to risk a third set if this was going to happen again, so I thought I'd wait to see what became of this post.

I've got hold of the Service Mode information mentioned elsewhere in this bulletin board from Philips TV Service Mode and had a good read through, but I'm not sure which setting needs changing.

Any ideas anyone? 'Adjust Peak White Limiter' looks like a good contender. I'll probably ring Empire Direct and see what they want to do.

OG - Just out of interest which TV did you go for in the end and how did it compare?

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jobby - went a bit over the top in the end and bought the new Toshiba 36ZP18P.

Basically it took me ages to decide on the Philips in the first place then QED announced this new model at £1364 when the high street were selling it for £2k. For convenience I wanted to swap to a model that QED stocked so they could just take the Philips away when the new one arrived.

I also liked the idea of a Tosh because I had a 29" version 8 or 9 yrs ago that got liberated by some kindly burglar, I replaced it with a Sony and have had 8 years of disapointment so when such a well spec'd Tosh came along at a bargain price (even though it was £566 more than the Philips) I decided to go for it.

Cheers
    OG

6. pedwar

pedwar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Jobby,

Did you try the 'Peak White limiter' setting on your TV? Sounds very much like the bit we need.

I've spoken to QED where I bought my TV a couple of times and they say they don't know anything of the problem but will send an engineer out to have a look. I haven't done this yet as I need to book a days holiday from work for them to be able to do this. (and that probably won't be the only day I'll have to book off to get them to sort this!)

I wonder if there is a central database of all recorded faults with Philips TV's in the UK?, I know there is one in the USA but unfortunately this doesn't cover the 6515.

Let me know how you get on.

-Speedy

7. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I like the look of the 32PW6515C and want one, but this fault sounds like something major such as a design error in the digital processing.

Do let me know if you manage to get it sorted out by an engineer.

On a separate note, how was the geometry?

Cheers :cool:

[ 26-06-2001: Message edited by: Beddie ]

8. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Earlier in the thread there was a URL to the philips TV service mode. It mentions that this works with the 28PW6515 but how as there isn't a menu button on the top of the TV only a P+/- Sound+/- 4way button.

The other way into the service mode is via numeric code. I want to put up the test patterns on the screen to check the distortion out, before I call the engineer out but the last thing I want is for them to know that I have been into the service menu. I.e does anyone who has done this know if this is recorded anywhere and more importantly does this consitute a voiding of the warranty as I only bought it 5 days ago?

Failing that anyone got a good PAL dvd setup disc that I could go and get that would probably do the job?

Thanks
    Njay

9. pedwar

pedwar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Beddie,

The Geometry on my set looks briallant for a 32" Flat widescreen. Obviously sometimes you can see a tiny distortion on the edges of the screen depending on what else is going on, on screen but other than that a briallant set (especially for the price).

For the others of you with the blocky problem, OG was right there is a fix the engineer can do in the service menu, aparently it is to do with the delay on the Guns being set incorrectly from the factory. I should be having an engineer out in a few days to try the fix. I'll keep you all posted as to if it works or not.

-Paul

10. Jobby

Jobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never risked going into the Service menu, my worries were the same as NJay's I thought I might invalidate my warranty perhaps? :confused: Although I can't see how, if it is accessible through the remote.

I explained the whole thing to Empire Direct AND to Philips who didn't seem to know anything about this problem. Philips customer support find it easier to beleive that we've all just been unlucky rather than there actually being a bad batch or production line problem.

Empire don't know about it, but have taken the TV back again. They've been pretty good about it. I've told them that QED know about the Fix. QED, bless em, told me about the fix when I rang them up, even though I hadn't bought a telly off them!

Anyway, I'm waiting for the TV to come back. If anyone wants to see if this problem exists on their telly then I found a place that shows the fault up on a Special Edition DVD of The Abyss. I think it's at around just before 2hrs in when they are recussitating Whatsername... A bag is passed in front of her face after she comes round and the screen is filled with white for an instant. Oh and the Blocky crap! I'll give mor accurate info tommorow. I've forgotten.

Apart from this minor problem, I really like the set. So I am interested to see how the fix goes.

Speedy, could you see if you can find out what the setting change actually is in the service menu? It might be quicker to help Empire Direct along a bit! :)

Jobby

11. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think Philips need to act on this. They make good TVs. but it's obvious this model has a design fault. :eek:

Who is going to take it to Watchdog ?

12. rsmerin

rsmerin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I thought i was the only one too. I bought my set on 1st April (some joke, huh!), it has the same problems you all mention and I told the shop as soon as i got the set home and watched it for a couple of hours. I have tried to get it fixed, it can't be. The shop i got it from won't give me a refund, they only offer to get it fixed. So, unfortunately it looks as if i've got to take them to the small claims court and try and pry my money from them.

Does anyone know of any other good sets (not philips!) that are of a similar price?

hope you guys don't have such bad luck

Richard

13. Jobby

Jobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone want to go on telly and meet Anne Robinson? :)

Might be able to see her without the blocks! :p

14. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry to dig this thread up again, but have any of you Philips owners managed to get this problem fixed?

15. rsmerin

rsmerin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Beddie,

Two engineers and a long session in the workshop has left me still with the fault. The most they could do was "reduce customer levels" which in short was reducing the contrast level. I did manage to get one of the engineers, who had brought his brain with him, to give me an idea of what it could be, he thought it was the CRT tube receiving too large a voltage and overloading. This apparently this is the cause of the blocks but he couldn't offer me an idea of how to fix it. I'm sorry if I'm the bearer of bad news but i think this is just one of those bad designs.

Rich

16. pedwar

pedwar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

Well after the QED engineer came over on Thursday, he looked at the TV and had no idea what the problem was!! and said that it needed to go back to the workshop. We wouldn't let them take it and I phoned QED to ask them what was going on, as they had told me they knew what the probem was and what the fix was!?!?!

QED appologised and phoned their engineers (a new company that they're dealing with apparently) and they arranged for another engineer to come that Friday. No one turned up, so I called them at the end of the day. Aparently it was a mix up with the engineers and they will be over next tuesday (over a week from the first arranged date!!).

QED have appologised many times on the phone to me and have assured me that it is now a recogised fault by Philips who have issued a technical bulletin, the problem is to do with the Gain on the guns in the tube, it is just a few settings that need to be changed in the Service/Engineers Menu and is apparently a 2min job.

When they do turn up and make the change I'll let you all know how I get on.

If it works, I'll try and get a copy of the settings for you all when the engineer comes, so you can have them set.

The saga continues..

-Paul

17. rsmerin

rsmerin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Paul

It may finally mean i never have to talk to the shop i got the set from again, avoid the small claims court and watch a good TV.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Rich

18. larrylamb

larrylamb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i know my set is a different model (28pw9616) but i am on my 4th. set. All my sets have had humming and buzzing from the speakers and back of set. It is driving me nuts unless the volume is med/hig. My retailer wont change my set any more as Philips say the humming is within tolerances!!!!! They should come and listen in my lounge!I feel like going to Watchdog too. Television of the year - my arse

19. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been very interested in the Philips 6515 but all these stories have put me right off. I saw it on some Technology program on ITV tonight (don't remember the name and it wasn't a review of the TV itself) and it looked quite good (both the picture and the TV itself) although this was obviously not a good test.
    I've seen it at Unbeatable for £455 not inc. stand and roughly £550 with stand.

If you guys could let us know if this fix sorts it out i'd appreciate it and i'll rush out and buy it as well :)

20. pedwar

pedwar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    larrylamb,

I've heard this problem used to excist on some of the first batches of 6515's too.. It was some speaker wires internally that weren't sheilded properly and was a back to the workshop job to insulate/replace these wires..

Sounds like a similar problem? I was lucky to not have this problem on my set, as it is one of the later ones when they had fixed this.. (Shame they took their time about the settings on the guns on the tubes.. :)

Hope that's of some help.

I'd like to get access to this Philips Technical board for engineers, where all the technical bulletins and fixes are held would be interesting to have a read up.

Anyway better get back to work,

-Paul

21. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the feedback guys. This is such a good TV for the price that I really wanted one, but I am not willing to take the risk. I have had loads of Philips products over the years and they have all been excellent, but I think they have messed this one up. Next year's model will no doubt come out this autumn without these faults, but I cannot wait.

I have already sent back a Toshiba 32Z17B due to poor geometry that an engineer could not rectify (thanks to QED for EXCELLENT customer service). I am now going to get the JVC 32WFT1 as it has had goof reviews and it not much more expensive.

Good luck with your TVs!

22. Powerhead

Powerhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

I get the same problem when using a Sky digibox coupled to an oldish Mitsubishi telly or a similar aged Grundig. As far as I'm aware its not a tv fault as such but a problem with the digital system in general

23. Jobby

Jobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Any news on the fix Speedy? I am about to be supplied with a 3rd Philips and I am wondering if it is worth it.

I don't know who is working at Philips Customer Support in London but whoever talk to has been completely crap with me. They don't seem bothered about my complaint and they seem to think that everyone on the internet is lying basically. I lost my rag last time and asked the support guy if he was trying to put me off buying the set since I'm telling him there is a problem and he wont beleive it, despite the evidence we have collected here.

So, I'm going to have to start SERIOUSLY complaining at them. I hate it when it gets to this stage, but they have really been bad at customer service, and I'm really irritated that the London face of Philips is so cack. They've supposed to be ringing me back twice and never bothered.

They also claim that there has been no technical bulletin about the sets.

The only people who seem to have a clue here are QED. I think I may try and get the set there next time.

I'd love to know what the fix is though. Thanks.

Jobby - Still not finished.

24. kar

kar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I recently decided it was time to buy a widescreen tv and thought the 6515 (32) sounded good. However, like a lot of people I've seen the comments on here, which obviously put me off. My question is,

Does the picture problem you all talk about really make a BIG difference? I won't have a fancy setup (except putting the sound through a decent hi-fi). Will it bother me, or do you have to look really closely to see it?

It seems like you all rave about the tv, except for this one issue, and considering the price you can get it for, it seems worth it? :confused:

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keith - it is very noticeable, but you may get one that doesn't have the problem and even if it does there is the fix it's just important that you get it from a retailer who will fix it. I know when I asked in a few shops they swore blind they'd never had any Philips returned with the same problem - yeah right.

It is a great TV for the money.

OG

26. kar

kar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply. It seems you can't win, if you get one without the problem, great, if you don't, its a lottery.

I suppose the next obvious question is,

OK, I don't want to take the risk, so for the same sort of money, what is the best tv? Nothing fancy, just a decent picture, with decent sound?

God, this is hard!!

:(

[ 14-07-2001: Message edited by: Keith ]

27. pedwar

pedwar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Right I've had the 'fix' on my 6515...

Here's the lowdown...

The setting they change is the 'CATHODE DR' setting on the service menu, I think it was under 'Tuner' (either that or the next menu option down). By default it is set at 9 or 11, they had to turn mine down to 2 before the blocking stopped!! (The setting only goes from 0 to 12 !!)

BUT... (big but..) I would guess Cathode DR stands for Cathode Drive.. or similar, so it is the strength of the signal going out to the tube, so obviously when you turn this down the picture becomes dimmer/ duller.. So when it's very sunny out and you have the curtains open it isn't easy to see dark programmes/films on the TV now... but if you pump the contrast right up to say 70% or 80% to make the picture bright again, you just start getting the blocking back.

Strange.. It's ok on bright coloured films, like Tarzan or Dinosaur or something.. but dark films like the Matrix or watching the X-Files it's quite hard to see (unless you're in a pitch black room)

There must be another solution to this, if Philips have realised there is a problem, this must just be a temporary fix.

I'll be on the phone to QED later on today to see what's going on..

I still don't want to change the TV as for the money I can't find anything that comes close.. The next decent looking Philips in the range with similar settings (plus 100Hz is £1200)

I'll keep you all posted as to how I get on.

-Paul

28. Jobby

Jobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm... I'm wondering now whether to go for a Panasonic TX28DK1C or TX28PK3, or maybe even a Sharp 66GHF63H anyone know anything about these?

This is a big shame.

Thanks for letting us know about the fix. I'd be interested to see what QED have to say now. I can't seem to get any information out of Philips Customer Annoyance Centre.

29. Jobby

Jobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speedy,

how did you get on with QED? Personally I've decided to ditch the Philips TV now. I don't want to risk another set with the same problem and go through the whole game again. Especially if the fix isn't that good.

I'm now looking at Perhaps the Sony KV28LS35S or the Panasonic TX28PK2 which is a ProLogic surround system (Not quite Dolby Digital though...)

Comments anyone?

Jobby - Disillusioned.

30. pedwar

pedwar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Jobby,

The guy I have been dealing with is still on holiday (a 2 week one) so will be back on the 23rd (next monday) I'll talk to him then. If I can't get this fixed I'll probably shell out the extra and go to a 100Hz Philips model.

I'm sure they will get this sorted, just got to wait for enough people to spot the fault etc. and I don't really want to wait that long.

-Paul