1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 28PW6506 - any good?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mister_d, May 5, 2003.

1. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A quick pricerunner search has revealed that this appears to be about the only sub-£400 decent brand name 28" flat widescreen, but I'm struggling to find anything out about it.

I really don't want to go beyond £400 (I had originally intended to either buy second-hand or wait until prices begun to hit £300 and under, but haven't had much luck with the former and new prices barely seem to have budged in the past 12 months) - am I going to do any better for the money? Analogue picture quality is largely irrelevant and sound is fairly low on my list of priorities, I just want a flat screen with the best picture quality possible in both 50Hz and 60Hz modes. Coming from a curved 21" 4:3 suffering from horrific moire problems in 60Hz, I'm probably going to be quite easy to satisfy in this department.

Any comments about this TV or perhaps suggestions for alternatives at similar prices would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Seems as if a lot of places are selling off clearance stock at similar prices - has it been discontinued?

2. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nobody?

32" version seems to have been reviewed in the February edition of What Video, but isn't in the reviews section on the site - if anyone could briefly summarise advantages/disadvantages and any other important points I'd greatly appreciate it.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think the 6506 has been discussed so try a search.
    I found 15 results at least 5 that related to the TV you are looking at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Performed a few searches, didn't find much discussion on it aside from a few passing mentions. There seems to be surprisingly little about this TV considering its low retail price and respectable paper specs, so I'm wondering whether it is to be avoided for some reason.

Edit: Just searched for '6506' by itself and found a few more threads. Still not too much to go on, but I guess I'm just used to the PC world where there are always tens of reviews of the latest products to come out, no matter how similar they are to all the others out there...

5. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've got it,what do you want to know?

6. poinsy

poinsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I'd let you know that this model is selling at CostCo for £587 :eek: My local branch has sold out but they are expecting a new batch on May 31st ! I plan to get one - Wayne seems quite happy with his !

7. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes,I am more than happy with my 6506,as there are no nasties to speak of,like sound/picture.

It's took me over 2 years and 6 TV's to find a decent TV again.

I got mine for £609 delivered from www.anything-direct.com.They've been great.

It's £800 in Curry's.

:clap: