1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 28PW6305- Flat/comments?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Nyquil Driver, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if this set has a flatscreen or not?.

I can't find one to look at (it's dis-continued), but I've read conflicting reports on the net. Wesco-wholesale refer to it as "Real Flat" in their specs, but the review at What Video/Tv says it has a curved screen?!.

I've decided to throw in the towel with my new Panasonic and this Philips set looks like the safest replacement (my previous Philips Blackline-S was superb). My first choice was a Philips 6515, but after doing a search on this forum I found it had a variety of nagging flaws (exactly the kind of things I'm trying to avoid!).

So, if anyone's come across one of these models, your opinions/information will be gratefully received. I've not heard anything bad about the 6305 yet, so I'll definitely buy one if the image is flat.

2. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure its not a flat screen TV.

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 32PW6305 is unfortunately curved, the 32PW6515 however is flat.

And as we have learnt by now, certain other models are both! :devil:

4. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the replies. Although I have to admit that it's actually a crushing blow....

I'm literally out of options now unless I can find a fairly recent 6515 with decent geometry in a showroom. I could then ask to buy that specific display model as that's the only surefire way of getting an agreeable screen shape (which doesn't have the horrible fish-bowl effect). It's a sorry state of affairs though...

My Panasonic is utter lint, so I'm never dealing with them again (their e-mail silence is deafening too). I can't buy a Sony because of the overwhelmingly negative feedback on this forum. I can't buy a boxed Philips with any confidence as the screen might be wonky (and possibly made by Panasonic). I dismissed the Tosh range early on because their chassis' are HUGE and I read some reports of colour bleed/ghosting. The JVC's Interi-art sets seem to have the pin-cushion effect to varying degrees and I don't really trust the lower-profile companies enough to take the risk (Sharp, Hitachi, LG etc). Obviously the quality of Bush/Goodmans just isn't there, so what am I left with?!.

All I wanted was a decent 50Hz WS!!!.

5. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Nyquil Driver, perhaps wait about a month or so because, if you like Philips, they are bringing out their new line of Pixel Plus sets which will include a 28".

6. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    encaser, that does sound like the best bet at the moment and rationally speaking, I think it's the most sensible thing to do...

I'm desperate for a TV now though and honestly don't know if I can wait till then (a month+?!). Also, it will take a while for reliable reviews to filter through and I've tolerated this inadequate Panny long enough!.

Thanks for reminding me about them though, I was just about to trawl through all the e-tailers looking for any 28" WS sets that meet my requirements. Like you say, the Pixel Plus sets might (just might) be the answer to my prayers, although it wouldn't be the first time a well-touted range proved to be a disappointment.

I'm going to have a look round Powerhouse/Currys (shudder) first, there must be some flat(ish) 6515's out there somewhere. If there aren't then I'll have to hang on for the PP's.

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Take some valium or smoke for a month mate! electricaldiscountuk.co.uk have the 32 and 36 listed for March. If you buy something from Powerhouse/Currys you're gonna pay through the nose for something on it's way out in the newness stakes. And don't get short fused into buying a demo for God's sake, that's no doubt been on near enough 24/7. I've been waiting to buy for ages now too after 3 sh*te panny's that'd sent a few saints into the seventh circle of Hell for going postal after their torment wit them.
    Afterall, a short fuse buy could prove just to be another albatros. Watch The Long Distance Runner like I do and then you'll find apathy is the way to endure the unendurable <damn child proof caps>:clown:

8. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    One think to bear in mind is that you are not comparing like with like between the 6515 and new pixel plus tv's. The 6515 is a good tv for the money, the pixel plus range will be double the price.

9. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input guys,

It's re-assuring to know that the facts of the matter are available somewhere (i.e this forum) because if you just looked round a showroom or listened to a salesman, you'd think every set was safe to buy. encaser- I agree with you and yes, it would be pretty stupid to pay a lot for a worn shop model, but I've been driven to it (and my impatience knows no bounds!)

Powerhouse had a decent 6515 on display, but said they can't sell that particular one until they've sold all their stock(?!). I said why can't they just replace it with one of the boxed ones out the back and I never really got a satisfactory answer, other than "No, we don't do that" or "I don't know why you'd want that anyway". When I mentioned the fickle nature of geometry on the sets, I just got the usual "They're all flatscreen and as such will all be excellent". The display one in Curry's was (funnily enough) on sale as a "special", but predictably the screen was a bit askew and I could see a scratch or two aswell.

So, it looks like I'm going to have to sit it out until the PP sets arrive. Ideally I want something inbetween then and now though because the PP range may not live up to the hype. My other thought was to get a 6515 in the meantime from qed (who are helpful with returns) although obviously that would be playing pot-luck. I could always switch to a PP set later on if they're THAT good, but (like David mentioned) they're bound to be overpriced to begin with.

Tut,
    Why does everything have to be so risky and fraught with complications?!.....

10. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I wouldn't buy a 6515 from Powerhouse, Currys or Comet all will want £900 - £950 for one. I am getting mine from John Lewis at £749 with 5 yr warranty and free delivery. This is a price match with a local Hispek store. You can still order the TV online at www.hispek.co.uk for £749.88 with free delivery and a 1 yr warranty.

If you get one with good geometry you will be getting a bargain.

11. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    A mate of mine just bought the 32PW6515 and the geometry is skewy (most obvious in 4:3, the screen bows out nastily one one side).

I bought a 28PW6006, and the geometry's really good! Perfectly straight edges in 4:3 mode. Very similar telly to the PW6305 (possibly the new model? It's got the same casing). Again, it's one of Philip's "kind of flat" tubes rather than "totally flat" screens, but very nice and very cheap (about £320 plus delivery at Unbeatable if you don't want the stand included).

12. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0