1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 28PW6006

Discussion in 'TVs' started by bobble, Jul 14, 2002.

1. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, I am thinking of buying the Philips 28" 6006 widescreen TV, I have looked at previous posts on this TV in this forum and there are mixed opioins about ghosting and brightness through RGB, however there has been no posts on this for a couple of months, has any one purchased this recently and are you happy (was suggested this may be a faulty batch)?

I will be conecting Sky Dig and PS2 through the RGB socket and DVD player into Scart 2 in S-Video,

Also what is the height and width of the screen picture on a 28" TV,

Thanks.

2. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Even if you dont have an opinion on this TV, please can you tell me height and width of 28" Widescreen TV, I need to know how this compares with my current 25" 4:3 TV,

Thanks,

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The viewable area of a 16:9 28" tube should be about 575 x 324 mm.

A 4:3 25" tube has a viewable area about 472 x 354 mm.

Thus, the picture will be smaller than your 25" set when you are watching 4:3 material in 'pillarbox' mode, pretty much the same size as on a 21" set. When watching widescreen material, it will be noticably bigger but not dramatically. To get a bigger image even with 4:3 material on a widescreen set, you have to step up two sizes compared to a traditional set.

4. puc

puc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hi

I have recently bought this tv but can't in all honesty recommend it. I am now on my second 6006.

the first was delivered with picture geometry problems which i solved via the service menu and abysmal sound quality which the engineer laughed at but couldn't fix. About 2 weeks into ownership, it refused to save picture settings and would switch on at VERY high volume (125) but muted. I eventually persuaded the supplier to replace the set.

the second also had geometry problems (fixed) and the picture quality isnt as good as the first set. also it wont receive any fm radio in stereo. the tv sound is good compared to the first. i am not going to bother sending this back as the next set may be worse.

seems to me that Philips have poor quality control and dont care what they ship out. their customer care stinks, i once spoke to a very rude person at their call centre and they do not answer emails. personally i wont buy philips ever again and if you decide to, then good luck.

5. BallJoint

BallJoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a member of the silent majority I would like to speak up for the 6006. I have a 24" 6006 and I am very pleased with it. The colours through RGB are vibrant and there is no ghosting what so ever. The sound is also OK.

I think you take a chance with any TV you buy - they all seems to have problems (they keeps this forum busy!). I bought mine about two months ago, despite having read the adverse comments. Glad I took a chance as the picture is stunning!! If you haven't yet go get a demo.

6. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in agreement with BallJoint on this one, as I love this tv and have had none of the problems mentioned in other posts relating to it's RGB picture.

The sound via dvd can be pretty good if the bass is kept low/treble high, and the delta volume is turned right up..... IMHO.

tom

7. Morton

Morton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've started a couple of threads in this forum in the past week. I bought a 32" 6006 and it is displaying an extremely dark, predominantly red image from an RGB signal.

This is RGB from a Toshiba 2109 dvd player, NTL Pace Box, Dreamcast and Gamecube.

I'd recommend finding a retailer with one on display and testing it with your PS2 first.

Mine is being exchanged.