philips 28pw6006

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by puc, Jun 17, 2002.

1. puc

puc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've owned this set for a week now and am happy with it except for one annoying niggle.

When i watch a non WS broadcast, eg 4:3 or 14:9, the image is not centred. The black band on the right is around 1cm thicker than the one on the left. So i guess i need to shunt the picture about 5mm to the right. Its begun to annoy me although the rest of the family dont mind. Is there anyone who can tell me if i can adjust this or do i call an engineer?

Also, sometimes, the auto picture format doesnt work. Dont know why.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it can be done, but have a look at these two threads before dabbling with the service menu.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=32602
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=31969

3. puc

puc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've managed to open the SAM and have now adjusted the geometry to centre the picture (HSH up from 24 to 30). But this has only centred sky 14:9 broadcasts, analogue is still off to the left.

Also i now seem to have a wobbly right hand edge, it is not straight and seems to drift in/out of focus.

Any ideas or do i call an engineer?

4. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Puc,

welcome to the world of PW6006 geometry adjustment!

The off-centre thing is probably caused by RGB left/right shift. You won't be able to get both Sky and analogue TV centred at the same time. Centre the one you watch the most, or find a compromise value between the two.

Regarding the right screen edge, how bad is it? Mine's never been perfectly straight and neither has the one on my friend's. Is it possible you weren't scrutinising it heavily before you adjusted it? Try putting it back to the HSH default and see if it becomes straight again.

If it's a concave/convex bend then EWP can adjust it a bit, but beware, this is a more tricky setting to adjust than HSH. You're only supposed to adjust in Widesceen mode, but obviously you can't see the screen edge in that mode so it's tricky to do! We found a solution to this where you can adjust it in 4:3 if you set the value to 2 below the value you want store. I.e. if you find that 24 is a good new value, then set it to 22 before you leave the service menu, and when you turn the TV back on 24 will be
    the value that was stored.

(A couple of us here had nightmares originally adjusting EWP & EWW. See the second link DigiDragon posted above. However, we think we've got it licked now :))

About your autoswitch widescreen problem.

On Sky;
    If you manually set a widescreen mode then it'll stay in that mode (and won't autoswitch) until you change the TV channel (note; it doesn't regard changing channels on a digibox as channel change as you've not actually changed the AV channel on the TV, only on the digibox).

On Analogue/Terrestrial;
    Only Channel 4 sends widescreen switching signals, and even then only for 16:9 material. 14:9 never autoswitches.

Hope this helps.

John.

5. puc

puc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the reply John

I've just been down to Currys and the 6006 on display doesnt have straight edges either. The repair man said none of the WS TVs have a perfect edge. Even expensive Pannys and Sonys were demonstrably worse than mine. Come to think of it, I dont think my verticals were ever perfect, I can live with it. He warned me not to touch the SAM, didn't dare tell him i'd already done it.

I'm happy with the image position now, had to wait until the wife went to bed before tackling the adjustment. if it went wrong, i was going to plead innocence and blame the set.

Your note on autoswitching was interesting, it explains exactly what i'm seeing. Why didn't philips tell me this?

Do you get any interference/ghosting? If i watch a DVD when the digibox is on, I get a faint band sweeping majestically across the screen. this is easily cured by putting the sky on standby but does it indicate poor scart leads or inadequate screening in the set?

6. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Indeed, it's actually impossible for a CRT telly to have perfect geometry. It's a limit of the technology. Only Plasma or LCD screens can give perfect geometry.

Regarding the autoswitching, it's actually a useful feature the way it works right now. Imagine you wanted to watch 4:3 programmes in Superwide. The image comes on in 4:3 so you change it to superwide. If the autoswitching then kicked in again and changed it back to 4:3 you'd be pretty annoyed I bet. Basically, manually changing the screenmode overrides the autoswitch.

Regarding the ghosting, I've seen exactly the same thing on my friend's digibox. I don't think it's down to Scart leads, it seems to be an problem with this TV. As you say, it's not an issue really, just turn the digibox to standby. It's been reported on some different TVs too, and some people have remedied it by snipping pin 19 on their Scart (haven't tried it myself as it's not a problem for me).

Cheers,
    John

7. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Believe it or not HTV wales actually auto switches to 14:9 if you live near enough ;)

As for ghosting I've seen it on other makes of tv, it seems a lot of manufacturers are guilty of making poorly shielded tv's.

tom

8. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Really? Does it switch to 16:9 too for the occasional movie that's shown in 16:9? Blummin' useless Carlton don't send any switching signals for me. Oh well, if I ever move back to Swansea I'll be happy then :)

John

9. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if HTV does switch to 16:9 for movies, but of the times I have tuned to HTV, it has always switched to 14:9.

I use Granada, who also don't use a proper switching signal, so I too was quite surprised to find a channel other than 4 that did this :eek:

cheers
    tom

10. puc

puc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As far as i know, none of the analogue broadcasts i receive (including HTV Wales) trigger autoswitching. I don't get Ch4 here, only S4C.

11. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps I should refrase, certain programmes auto switch. Example: does E.R not auto switch to 16:9 on S4C? as it does on channel4.

As for HTV I'll have to check which programmes do (I should back up what I say 'me thinks' :rolleyes: )

tom

12. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A reply to my own post, I have just checked HTV whilst the adverts are on at 04:21pm, and guess what....yes it auto switched to 14:9 :p :D

cheers
    tom