philips 28pw6006 problems, again.

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by puc, Jun 22, 2002.

1. puc

puc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    after succesfully adjusting the geometry on this set, my new set has developed a new fault. It now refuses to save any changes i make to the sound or picture preferences. when i switch on, it uses "rich" picture setting and "theatre" sound setting. more annoyingly, the sound is always muted when i switch on with the volume set a 61!

anyone have any ideas?

2. beowulf

beowulf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    ..yeah , get your money back and don't buy a Philips again.

I won't.

3. joecool

joecool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    me neither!:mad:

4. rmg

rmg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nor me ;-)

5. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK, I'll try and actually post a helpful reply :rolleyes:

1) Are you definitely selecting the 'Store' option at the bottom of the Picture and Sound menus after you've made your changes? It won't save the changes until you select 'Store'.

2) You said you've been in the service menu. Did you touch anything at all in the 'Options' menu in the service menu (the one with all the OP1, OP2, OP3 (etc) settings)? I've heard that altering these weird effects similar to those you've described. Someone else reported that after touching these settings they lost the Radio function and were no longer able to switch between widescreen modes. I'd check they're still at the default values.

Cheers,
    John

6. puc

puc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi John, ta for the reply.

perhaps i didn't describe the fault properly. Initially, the tv would switch on to the same state i left it when i switched off (same volume level, same picture pref etc). Now it comes on in "mute" with volume set to 61, rich picture pref etc).

I only adjusted HSH in geometry in the service menu to correct a left sided picture, didn't touch the options as i dont know what they do.

The set was fine for about a week after i altered the geometry so i dont think its anything i've done.

7. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hmm, if setting new values and selecting 'store' doesn't sort it out then I think it's probably a repair job. Nothing like that's ever happened to me.

AFAIK there's no way they can tell you've used the service menu. And from what you've said it doesn't sound like anything you've done yourself anyway, so just give your retailer a call. Good luck!

John

8. puc

puc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    the damn set now comes on set at volume 115 (didn't know it went that high, i assumed max would be 100), thank god it's muted. engineer on his way although i'd prefer another set (not philips)

9. puc

puc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    just an update on this.

Endeva engineer visited, fiddled with the remote, failed to get into the service menu. he eventually diagnosed "something wrong with the chip", offered a repair in the workshop which could take up to 3 weeks. as the set was only 3 weeks old, i refused and advised the retailer i wanted a replacement.

new set arrived, same geometry problems BUT the difference in sound quality was noticeable. the old set sounded muffled with noise booming from inside the cabinet. this one is clear with good stereo separation. this one saves settings.

a couple of points though:

none of my fm radio stations are broadcast in stereo (they were on the old set)

picture quality is a little worse than the old set, seems a little grainier and harsher with more contrast no matter what i do to the settings. seems like the rgb quality isnt quite as good on this set.

What does this say for Philips quality control?

10. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Silly question, but have you got the FM aerial plugged in fully, mine worked loose once, leading to low quality reception.

Another possible solution; have you tried pressing the mono/stereo button on the remote? It stores the setting, so if you hit it once then it'll stay in mono until you push it again, even if you turn the set off. I was paranoid once that I couldn't get Nicam on Ch4, then realised that I must have pushed the mono/stereo button whilst I was on Ch4. It sorted it out for me.

11. puc

puc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanks, aye, tried all of those things. I'm going to try re-running the auto tuning again to see if it picks up the stereo channels. failing that, i'm going to live with it. so cheesed off with philips sets now, i'd never recommend one. :(

12. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That's a real pity as I've never had a problem with my PW6006 (except when I acidentally mucked up the service menu settings myself, but I can't blame Philips for that!). As you say, it must just be some bad quality control going on :(

13. mike5

mike5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take my advice don"t touch the sets. The nighmare I had with my PHILIPS 28PW6006, still goes on. A nice whistling noise when it feels like it,convergence and it was my third set so in the end I gave up. You get what you pay for, I suppose if you pay £360 for a widescreen what do you expect.:mad:

14. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    can't say that I am overjoyed with my 6006, after nearly six months I am still trying to get a picture through rgb that I am totally happy with.
    I won't be buying phillips again either!