Philips 28DW9625 IDTV fault

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by mafw, May 27, 2002.

1. mafw

mafw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Philips 28DW9625 IDTV (yesterday) but it has a very strange problem. :mad: We find that, after the set has been switched on for about 1/2 hour then it stops working properly. We first noticed this problem when we installed the set. We were channel hopping and after a while the picture went black.
    The only way we found to get the set working again is to switch it off and on at the main switch. Later on when we had been watching the same channel for a while, when we tried to change channel nothing happened. We could change the volume, switch the set to standby or activate the setup menu but most other functions did not work. :confused:
    When we changed the set to analogue mode then the picture was screwed up (top at bottom and bottom at top) and the sound was from a different channel. We could change channels but the picture was still wrong. The only way we could fix this is to switch off/on again. Similar problems to this kept appearing throughout the rest of the day.
    I have checked the obvious - aerial cable, remote batteries, user guide and cannot fix it. I am sure it is not a signal strength problem since we recently had a new wideband aerial and the engineer checked the signal strength of all the digital channels.

Is this a known problem? Is there any change of the set being repaired or should I take the set straight back to the shop for a refund? I have already had two faulty sets (not IDTV) and I am tired of all the hassle this has caused (the other sets could not be repaired).

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've seen this a couple of times on my 32dw9625.

However, I have a combined video/dvd connected and both times I have seen this was when I was messing about with the video/dvd.

Either recording TV and trying to watch a DVD and cycling through the channels, or playing both a DVD and Video at the same time and trying to cycle the channels to see if I could see both the video and dvd playing on different channels.

I have had the screen go completely black which was corrected by turning the set off.

I have also had the case where the picture is completely crap but the sound being fine.

Like I say I have only seen this twice and both times was when I was messing about with the video/dvd.

I'll have another look tonight.

3. mafw

mafw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Black Beard,

Thanks for the response. I have a VCR connected to one SCART socket (External 2) but I haven't used it since installing the TV. Maybe I'll disconnect it anyway to eliminate that from the equation.

BTW: The set has had this fault again twice already today.
    Also the signal strength test shows red (no/poor signal) on all channels but yet we get a perfect picture. The aerial installer's meter showed a good signal on all channels back in January.

There is an option to update the set's software on one of the menus. Would it be inadvisable to try this?

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm not sure you'll gain anything by updating the software. ITVD are supposed to send out the updates and if they are not around anymore .......

I'm currently awaiting an update to get rid of an annoying letter P in the top right hand corner of the screen. Although since ITVD went I've not had the problem. Mainly due to the fact I don't select the channels which appeared to be causing the problem.

You'd could try calling an engineer. I just assumed I was doing something silly as I haven't seen it for a while. You on the other hand appear to be able to repeat it. Like I said I'll try it tonight.

5. mafw

mafw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The retailer sent the set to their repair centre and I got it back yesterday. The fault is still the same and now the retailer tells me that they couldn't find a fault (they didn't tell me until after I had collected the set though :mad:). They say it could be the aeriel, but I had a wideband aeriel fitted recently and they checked the signal strength of the digital channels.

:confused: