1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 28DW6559 Drops Digital Channels

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by colinholl, Apr 27, 2005.

1. colinholl

colinholl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a Philips 28DW6559 digital TV for 9 days, and it loses it digital picture and sound several time a day, either suddenly or when changing channels, and goes to a black screen. In this state other digital channels cannot be accessed, but the channel banners are still selectable, together with their current programme data, Sometimes it recovers by itself after about 20 secs, other times it has to be turned off and left for 15 mins. The analogue side remains OK. The on-screen reception test shows an excellent signal, with the yellow bar being about 50% width. The dealer is willing to take it back for exchange, but if he finds nothing wrong with it on his premises we face a double transport bill and having the troublesome set back again. If it's an intermittent fault, it might easily be shaken out on the return journey and back in when returned to us again. Can anyone please help, both technically and on how to deal fairly with the business of getting satisfaction with my purchase? Many Thanks

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,883
    To determine if it's a signal problem beg or borrow a set-top box and try that.
    You say analogue is okay but digital signals are a lot weaker and subject to impulse interference.......don't go by the signal strength on-screen.....they're not that accurate.

3. colinholl

colinholl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been running a Philips DTR1500 Freeview converter with the previous TV for 16 months without these problems. There have been very occasional picture glitches and short blanks in the sound, but nothing that has dropped channels. When I select the Freeview box with this TV via the SCART after one of the drop-outs, the digital signal is present and looking normal and it all performs as the previous set. Most of the time I have been using the aerial connected directly to the new TV because I was concerned about the insertion loss of the Freeview box and VCR.

We live in a bungalow with overhead wiring, so impulsive interference is never far from our minds. Consequently, I have cycled the central heating and water heating many times, but have not yet managed to provoke this fault.

One thing seems to be noticeable, and that is that in recent days the set has dropped it digital channel after about 20 mins operation, as though there is a component partly failed, or maybe an intermittent joint sensitive to warming-up. This evening I will run a cold start to see if it's unrelated to the time of day.

I'm also trying a 6dB gain/4dB NF booster for the aerial, as suggested by one of the BBC Digital Factsheets. We are receiving here from the Rowridge transmitter.

Thanks again JayCee for your interest.

4. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    You say the signal indicator is showing 50%, I would say that 50% is not very good. You also had SOME problems with your old digibox. Get your aerial checked by a professional.
    Nigel

5. colinholl

colinholl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well maybe 55% Nigel, but the extra 6dB gain from the booster hardly makes any difference to this indication, which made me wonder whether the digital tuner is already into some kind of compression, since it is quite a high signal level area here. It's tedious to do the sums, but by that I mean that some years ago my 46-element J-Beam aerial was delivering 2mV acress 50 ohms from the huge analogue signal from Rowridge. I don't know if the 500kW ERP has been reduced, but is there a problem with big analogue signals alongside the digital signal due to intermods?

I'm going to re-visit the reception test on the separate Freeview converter later, to see what it makes of the booster gain. In the meantime, I'll have think about the aerial siting.

Thanks for your reply, Nigel.

6. colinholl

colinholl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The dropping of digital channels during warm-up developed into a regular pattern, so it was pointless going on. This fault was not related to time of day, interference or signal conditions. It seems significant that the digital side of the set collapses completely, and from all of this I can only suppose there is a partial component failure or intermittency.

The set is now boxed-up for return to Hills when the courier deigns to turn-up.