Philips 26PF5321 stuck in 16:9 in component?

norliss

I just got this from Richer Sounds and I'm fairly pleased with it for the money. However I've found something which seems to be something of an annoyance and I wonder if anyone else has found the same thing and perhaps a workaround?

Via SCART (RGB, S-Video & Comp) inputs it seems able to detect the appropriate aspect ratio display mode and will let you toggle between the various other options.

However, I've also hooked up the Pioneer DV-585 DVD player via Component and via this input the TV refuses to display anything other than a 16:9 image irrespective of the source material or how the player is set to output the signal. Admittedly it makes no difference for anamorphic 16:9 stuff but would be intolerable for watching 4:3 TV material.

Any help/pointers very gratefully received.

Edit:

It also seems to be the case that the TV is aspect ratio-locked in HDMI too. I cannot for one moment imagine that this is intentional so this must be a fault and I suppose will have to go back :|

penna

Novice Member
Scart has a specific widescreen switching pin, so I would expect it to switch automatically when using that.

What resolution is the DVD player outputting through component? For an HD signal on my set 4:3 is not available as an option, whereas it is for SD signals.

norliss

What resolution is the DVD player outputting through component? For an HD signal on my set 4:3 is not available as an option, whereas it is for SD signals.
It's only an SD signal coming through component so it should be allowing me to change the aspect ratio alas it seems locked to 16:9 :thumbsdow

norliss

An update to this:

I contacted Richer Sounds today who confirmed their model was exactly the same. I took the set back today and there wasn't anything else of similar value I liked so got a refund.

For anyone looking to buy a Philips TV, beware as it looks like this is not the only model that suffers from this design flaw.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom