Philips 26PF5321 stuck in 16:9 in component?

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by norliss, Sep 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. norliss

norliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I just got this from Richer Sounds and I'm fairly pleased with it for the money. However I've found something which seems to be something of an annoyance and I wonder if anyone else has found the same thing and perhaps a workaround?

Via SCART (RGB, S-Video & Comp) inputs it seems able to detect the appropriate aspect ratio display mode and will let you toggle between the various other options.

However, I've also hooked up the Pioneer DV-585 DVD player via Component and via this input the TV refuses to display anything other than a 16:9 image irrespective of the source material or how the player is set to output the signal. Admittedly it makes no difference for anamorphic 16:9 stuff but would be intolerable for watching 4:3 TV material.

Any help/pointers very gratefully received.

Edit:

It also seems to be the case that the TV is aspect ratio-locked in HDMI too. I cannot for one moment imagine that this is intentional so this must be a fault and I suppose will have to go back :|

2. norliss

norliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Bump. No-one?

3. penna

penna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Scart has a specific widescreen switching pin, so I would expect it to switch automatically when using that.

What resolution is the DVD player outputting through component? For an HD signal on my set 4:3 is not available as an option, whereas it is for SD signals.

4. norliss

norliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    It's only an SD signal coming through component so it should be allowing me to change the aspect ratio alas it seems locked to 16:9 :thumbsdow

5. norliss

norliss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    An update to this:

I contacted Richer Sounds today who confirmed their model was exactly the same. I took the set back today and there wasn't anything else of similar value I liked so got a refund.

For anyone looking to buy a Philips TV, beware as it looks like this is not the only model that suffers from this design flaw.