1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 24PW6006 lateral distortion

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by MXD, Nov 27, 2002.

1. MXD

MXD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Model: Philips 24Pw6006 (not a flat screen TV)

Problem
    In the normal 4:3 or a 1:1 zoom mode the edges of the screen distort. This causes the images at the extremes of the picture to become laterally compressed, for example a perfect circle in the middle of the screen would appear slightly egg shaped at the extremes. This is most noticeable when the camera is panning across; in a football match for example the letters of the advertising boards appear to compress and ripple as they move off the edge of the picture.

I was wondering if this typical of non-flat widescreen TVs, or because the very extremes are not hidden by physical edge of the screen as with a standard aspect ratio TV.

Or alternatively because my TV is sha@#ed.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Matt

2. Aaron

Aaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought the same model myself, and noticed it too.

I'm not too worried about that though, just the service menu which causes me a huge amount of worries every time I go into it with high hope of correcting something!! :devil:

I'm impressed with this TV for the price, the actual picture quality is great.

My only gripes are:

On both sides of the screen, (right more noticabley) the horizontal edges bend up/down.

I have a slope going from right to left which I've been told is the earths magnetic field or something.

Supwerwide cuts off a fair bit of the screen, and that would be ok, if the service menu would let me adjust things without adjusting everything else. For some weird reason, superwide is shifted 1 more to the left than all the rest, but can I change it? No!