1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 24PW6006 - is it REALLY dead?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by awed, Mar 10, 2005.

1. awed

awed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Philips 24PW6006 - only 15 months old. Never had a problem with it....until yesterday, when it seemed to die. Turn it on, 50% chance picture is O.K., 50% chance the colour balance is all wrong, very "red" (but all colours present). Then, after anything between 30secs and 5 minutes, it just goes into standby. Might be able to get it to turn on again from remote, or sometimes have to power off and on again. But either way, it never lasts for more than 5 mins before going into standby again.

Does this with or without SCART from DVD plugged in, UHF lead in, both in, neither in.

It's dead. I know it's dead. But after 15 months? WAAAAAH!

Is there any possibility that this is something fixable? Some weird state that the TV has got into which can be fixed by cunning use of service menu or a tube of vaseline and a 15lb lump hammer?

£285 worth of TV on the dump, 15 months old. Philips....no thanks.

2. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi awed

Welcome to the forums!

Sorry to here about your Philips going belly up. 15 Months is not a reasonable length of time for a TV to last so I would say you have some recourse to the manufacturer under the Sale of Goods Act 1979. Goods have to be of reasonable quality, which this obviously wasn't.

My first step would be to contact Philips directly, and if you get no joy, a solicitor or Citizens Advice would be next.

HTH

Wackojacko32

3. awed

awed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, I hadn't considered that to be honest. Must be worth a go. Perhaps Trading Standards would be a good first step. Thanks for the idea!

I'll still have to fork out for a new one though - even if I eventually get some compensation from Philips, I need something to watch in the meantime!

Pity, 'cos the DVD recorder is Philips, and I like having matched components. But this does put me off Philips.

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    That's a little unfair, although I'd probably feel the same in your position.

There is not a manufacturer on the planet that does not produce the odd rogue item. :lesson:

Why not give Philips a chance to make amends?

Good luck. :thumbsup:

5. mcaw

mcaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tube died on my Philips 32 w/s after 30mths. Philips have just offered a replacement tube for £99, so it's worth contacting them. Do it through the email on their web site.

6. awed

awed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, interesting tip mcaw...but can I know for certainty that it is the tube? Might it not be some other piece of controlling electronics? My hunch is that it is the tube, but for £99 I'd want better than a hunch!

7. mcaw

mcaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I spoke to an engineer over the phone. He diagnosed the problem I had straight away. Try ringing a couple, the reaction I seemed to get from anyone I rang was "it was a known problem with philips tubes from this era". Mine flicked to a green screen with flyback lines, and tried to reset itself.

8. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, yes from your original description it did sound like a crt fault. Sometimes it can be caused by 'debris' in and around the electron gun assembly - I seen a lot of this on Sony Trinitron tubes - one cure that I've tried a couple of times is to take the back of the telly off and GENTLY tap the neck of the crt behind the deflection and yoke and the pcb attached to the rear of the crt (that's roughly where the electron gun assembly is on all crts). This can sometimes dislodge the debris and the crt becomes useful again - sometimes for years (sometimes days) and to be really truthful sometimes it doesn't cure it. I'm not suggesting you try this yourself as you have to be confident and 'qualified' to attempt it - you don't want to be causing further problems or injury to yourself. You may have read in the forum occasionally that someone is quietly watching their telly and all of the sudden the tv set gives out an horrendously loud 'crack' followed by a temporary loss of picture (maybe the whole set goes off for a while).Curiously after switching the telly back on it gives years of sterling service? The loud 'crack' is the high voltage inside the neck arcing across a piece of debris inside the electron gun assembly within the crt and literally blasting/incinerating the debris away - can be disconcerting to the unwary !! Regards, yt.

9. awed

awed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all this info guys, many things to consider here. I'm resigned to buying a new TV, but your ideas may at least give me a working spare. Cheers!