1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 23PF9956 / Progressive Scan

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jonandjen, Feb 16, 2005.

1. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm just about to take delivery of the above LCD, and (having ordered it before indulging in AV forums, and accordingly aquiring a bit more knowledge about these things!) noticed on the spec that it had 'pixel plus' and 'progressive scan'. Since reading forums, my understanding is that even if a TV has progressive scan capabilities, it needs to be connected to (and therefore driven by) a likewise device such as a progressive scan capable DVD player / home cinema etc. (and that this would need to be by way of a 'component' connection.

As the 23PF9956 does not have component inputs (just DVI, RGB scart, composite, S video etc ), how can the TV utilise it's progressive scan capabilities ??

Confused of AV Forums !!! :confused:

2. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    :lease: After more forum reading, am I right in thinking that progressive scan can be achieved via DVI connections ??? :confused: :confused:

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes Jonandjen. With this set you need a DVD player that outputs DVI digital signals. There are quite a few around inluding the Denon 1910 (upward) players ans a couple of new ones ftro Samsung and Pioneer. Not too expensive.

Jimmy

4. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Jimsan - Thanks very much for the reply. In hindsight, life would have been a whole lot easier had the Philips had component connections. Any how, the DVI connection will enable me to get best quality (hopefully!) and use the RGB scart for lesser things such as Xbox etc. I could have gone for a different LCD, however I'm a long time Philips fan, and got the 23PF9956 for 'absolute peanuts' from BE Direct. (I'm sure they made a mistake on their site, a sthe orice was only around for 1 day, and was promptly bumped back up again the day after my order!)

I am just about to 'dive in' to the DVI / HDMI DVD player market, and had my eye on the Denon and the Samsung HD745 (really cheap price!). The complication is Philips are just about to bring out the DVP900SA, (any day now), and the spec on the Philips website looks very impressive, with the likelihood it will come in around the £200 mark.

Regards :thumbsup:

5. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Are you sure the DVI-D connector is HDMI compliant? Its touted as a DVI Digital PC connector.

No mention is made of HDCP compliance, even in the manual, not a good sign in my book. Plus none of the PC resolutions supported match video resolutions.

Also, if it is designed as a PC connector then there is no reason why it should be HDCP compliant. In addition, a PC input when used with video sources, even if video resolutions were supported on this input, blacks would be grey and whites would not be bright.

On paper, it looks like EXT1 connected to a DVD player via RGB SCART is your best option. It looks like it will not accept progressive scan from a video source, only from a PC. As one says, you pay peanuts, you get...

-Ian

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The DVI connection is definitely not HDCP compliant, but if it ia a DVI-D it should work OK with the DVI output from a suitable player. However if this connection is only suitable for a PC then, as Ian says, beware!

Thanks Ian.

Jimmy

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The DVI connector is definately DVI-D so it won't physically take a DVI-I cable. The set does have a PC VGA socket - I would ask Philips direct if this will take video resolutions as the manual contradicts the spec sheet. In which case, you will need to get advice on a suitable lead to convert component from the DVD player to VGA - there are different ways of doing this.

-Ian

9. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    :hiya: Hi Jimsan and IanH, Thanksvery much for the replies. I have now just got an Email reply from Philips customer support 'confirming the worst' (i.e. DVI-D for PC use only and not HDMI / DVI-I / HDCP compatible, wont accept progressive signals from other equipment etc.etc.)

Basically, I will have to decide whether I can just live with RGB scart connection (and no HDTV / futureproofing) or just go for something else (Sharp GA3 / GA4?) that is. To be honest, the price was so good I probably could live with it.

To make things worse, the Philips finally arrived today,and it had a damaged stand (so already being returned for a replacement). Will have a good think tonight as to what to do.

Last moan - Philips' website is particularly misleading. It clearly states tha it is DVI-I / HDMI compatible etc. etc. etc, yet the user manual and now their own customer service boffins are saying it isn't. How could a world brand like this have such misleading information on their website ?

Regards, :mad:

10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It is pitiful.

Jimmy

11. aphextwin

aphextwin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can any one confirm if the Philips 32PF9976 is HDCP compliant. I have just about made my mind up on this screen and would be bummed if it wasn't.

12. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Aphextwin - following is from Philips w/s for 32pf9976 :

Connectivity
    Ext 1 Scart : RGB, CVBS in / out, Audio L/R
    Ext 2 Scart : Y/C, CVBS in / out, RGB, Audio L/R
    Other connections : Analogue audio left / right out, Centre speaker connection in, Subwoofer out
    Ext 3 Scart : CVBS in / out, Audio L/R
    Ext 4 : YPbPr, DVI with HDCP, VGA PC-in

Fairly sure you will be OK, although it would be best to try and view one in the flesh to make sure. Philips w/s cant be trusted !

Regards

13. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yup it definitely is. Same connectivity as 9986. In fact similar in a lot of ways to the 9986.

Jimmy

14. crazyswede

crazyswede
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was interested in this or the 26" version.. I am confused :confused:

It has progressive scan but you can't connect a progressive scan player into it... So what is the progressive scan for....?

15. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The panel is inherintly progressive scan. The display does the deinterlacing itself.

16. crazyswede

crazyswede
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this a good or bad thing?

17. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    crazyswede - here is a cut/paste of the reply I got from Philips Customer Services :
    Thank you for your recent e-mail.

"With regards to your query we can advise that the connection is a
    DVI-D connection for connecting a PC. (Not HDMI compatible) You
    cannot input an external progressive scan signal to this model.

The best quality input would be through the Scart connection, using a
    good scart lead.

The progressive scan is an internal system, and will display the
    signal from terrestrial channels as progressive, not functional with
    external devices.

For the options you seem to be wanting (progressive, DVI-I, etc) the
    smallest size model is the 32PF9956."

Regards, :confused:

18. crazyswede

crazyswede
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that post jonandjen...

So it will show normal tv as progressive but will not process a normal dvd input into a progressive picture?

The 32PF9956 would be nice, but to expensive for me...

Maybe progressive thingy is not that important and I am making a big deal out of nothing. I have never compared progressive scan with my own eyes. But of course I want the best picture possible :D