1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 23pf9946

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nelliott, Sep 22, 2004.

1. nelliott

nelliott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have one of these lcd's? Was wondering what the picture quality is like?

Thanks.

2. nelliott

nelliott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No-one have one of these? Anyone seen one in the flesh?

3. sneill

sneill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi - Yes I own one of these, got it mainly as a PC monitor and also to double up as 2nd TV. Previously I've always thought the picture on LCD was just plain awful, lots of noise etc These new Philips models are much better. I'm just using regular composite NTL signal which doesn't look great initially until you switch on the active control function which tidies up the picture nicely. There are no motion artefacts to be seen unlike previous generation LCD screens. I’ve only just rec’d my PC and hope to set it up this weekend. I'm also currently waiting for a Supra DVI cable to test is out with a High definition DVD I own (Step into Liquid – great Surfing documentary) but not getting this cable until Mid Oct due to lack of stock availability. By the way this Philips looks great in terms of physical design & appearance, probably the smartest I’ve seen so far, even the remote is nice looking and has matching white curved back on it - matches the monitors design. I have none of my usual post purchase regrets/doubts. 26" model looks great also but bit big for a PC screen!. There will be slightly different model nbr with Pixel Plus later this year by the way, I saw them side by side and didn't notice any huge difference & I'm not a big Pixel plus fan, I think it makes the picture look a bit off personally. I preferred the image from the non Pixel Plus version however the other has a black bezel, which is nicer for long term viewing IMO.

4. nelliott

nelliott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sneill - thanks very much for the reply. I'm a bit undecided between the 23" and 26" version now, as I see the 23" only has a 25ms response rate whereas the 26" has a 16ms response. Do you notice any ghosting on your set?

Also - do you mind me asking where you saw the pixel plus version ( I think its the 9956 ?) as although it was initially mentioned in their press release back at the start of the year I can't seem to find any info on the web.

And one more quick question - is there any mention in the manual about the progressive scan ability?

Many thanks.

5. sneill

sneill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi nelliott - can't say I've noticed any ghosting problems, watched some football on it a while ago and no issues, I've kinda always considered this a good test. Re Pixel Plus version - a close friend works in Philips head office and I 'invited' myself to her office on a Friday afternoon at end of their trade fair so they had entire Philips series on display, which was nice! I can't recall the Pixel Plus model nbr; have a catalogue at home will update you tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the guys in Philips said the 23" + 26" Pixel plus models would not be available until end of Nov at earliest. If you'd like I could run NTL digital through RGB scart over weekend and give me opinion?. I'm not actually using this TV at the moment- setting it up my PC over weekend.. will run my High def DVD through VGA and let you know comments - should be good through. The non pixel plus models are on display in 2 shops here in Dublin so I reckon the must be on display somewhere near you as normally UK gets new products 6 months+ before us Paddys!

6. nelliott

nelliott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've got the 26" on display in the local comet / currys but strangely can't find the 23" anywhere (only the older 23" model). I expect the pixel plus models will be priced at a premium - not sure whether it would be worth waiting for or not but I have been impressed with the 30" pixel plus model. Did the 23" pixel plus tv have the same glossy white casing?

Also a bit unsure about how the progressive scan works as there are no component inputs - I guess it just acts as a line doubler on all inputs?

Thanks again :)

7. sneill

sneill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    The Pixel plus model nbr is 23pf9956, this has black front bezel then white curved background, yes I guess it be cost more for this model. There are x2 computer inputs on the models – one being VGA & the other being DVI. If you have seen the 26” model then quality of image looked the same side by side. The DVI connection will accept an incoming progressive scan signal e.g. from a compatible DVD player for example

8. nelliott

nelliott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to keep hassling you but it would be great to hear how you get on with the pc input. I'm hoping to use the screen with my laptop for HD stuff in the future. Don't suppose you've tried any games on the screen - I know these can susceptable to a lower pixel response.

Incidentally I was looking at one of the previous generation pixel plus lcd's in Currys the other day and was surprised at how strange it made the picture look - everything looked very crisp but the picture lost all its film-like quality which was apparent on the other tv's. Not sure I like it much.