Philips 23" or Samsung 22" - which one is better?

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Ksim, Jan 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Ksim

Ksim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm looking to get replacement set for the bedroom and I'm trying to choose between the Philips 23PFL5522D/05 and the Samusung LE22S86BD. I've read about problems with the Samsung making a high pitched noise during use - although the set I looked at didn't seem to have any problems.

I previously looked at the Samsung LE23R88BD which was great to look at but had terrible sound quality from the hidden speakers. What I'm looking for is if anyone has either the Philips or the Samsung if they could offer up any thoughts, I need a tv that can turn itself on in the morning and also one that is quiet on standby - no loud electrical buz like my Sony LCD has.

Thanks for your time,

Ksim

2. Yemeth

Yemeth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +993
    My Samsung is invisibly quiet, and it is a 37", so I see no reason or way that the 22S86 should be buzzing. I would choose the Samsung out of the 2.

3. Ksim

Ksim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any more thoughts out there? I've noticed a few threads that suggest buzzing from some of the large Philips, has anyone bought this one and is it affected?

4. kef2

kef2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ksim

We have just acquired the Samsung LE22S8 for use in the bedroom after much deliberation between the Samsung 22", a Sharp 20" and a Sony 20", we spent ages in the shop walking to and fro from each set and I believe we have made the right decision, so far I'm very impressed with it (only had it a week).
    I've heard no high pitched noise during use and total silence in standby mode.

The sound quality is very good, I have set it to Samsung's TruSurround XT mode which has a quality sound system for a small TV.

Picture quality is also very good, the Sony perhaps slightly better but the picture size sealed the deal (plus it was cheaper than the Sony which confirmed it)

Kef2

So would I buy it again.........big yes.

5. Pim

Pim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KSIM,

My Phillips 42" LCD buzzes like hell, but then you are looking for something smaller. Not sure if the design fault is inherent in the smaller screen sizes.

6. Ksim

Ksim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies, it looks like I'm going to be getting the Samsung next week. Still is there anyone who has an opinion on the Philips 23"?

7. Ksim

Ksim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the last chance for anyone to express any thoughts as I'm going to be making a final decision and putting my money down on Monday.