1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

philips 23" lcd tv

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by sponshagga, Jan 2, 2004.

1. sponshagga

sponshagga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering downsizing my tv as I can't find something lcd wise that suits all my criteria. It looks like the philips 23" fits my spec. i.e. LCD , needs picture in picture with dual tuner , looks cool, can plug in a pc. Two things concern me. 1: I am dowsizing from 32 inch plasma - will I be shocked by how small it is!
    2: I read here it had been withdrawn from sale at some point - design problems? Anybody know why?

2. johnduncan

johnduncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't comment on whether it will seem small as have moved from a 24" CRT and as a piece of furniture it's a thing of beauty. But I've been disappointed with the light bleeding round the edges - even had another one delivered which was worse - very disconcerting on dark films or those in 2.35:1 ratio with black bands top and bottom. I'm new to this so don't know if it's an LCD characteristic.

Sound quality is magnificent though for a standalone television.

Having said that, I'll swap it for your 32" plasma if you like!

3. sponshagga

sponshagga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The plasma's going back it was a thomson I bought from Comet and after 8 months wrangling trying to get a fault sorted I went to the finance company - within two weeks I got a refund.
    This bleeding problem (ahem!) is becoming a bit of a recurring theme now. Apparently the new lg 30" has the same problem. My search on the LCD front gets narrower and narrower....

4. johnduncan

johnduncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We're sticking with the philips because we can live with it but if we were looking again I understand (from the telly repair man) that panasonic have the best picture quality, and their 22" is about the same price.....

5. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,200
    Have you looked at the 26" JVC model, IMO the picture is far better than the Philips, LG, Samsung models ?

6. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Check out the Philips 30 inch LCD (on some websites for about £2K!).

PixelPlus is incredible and really makes a difference. The best 30 inch LCD IMO.

7. sponshagga

sponshagga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JUst got the thomson 27" - Decided to get this as its a nice picture, looks good and is cheap enough for me to get another small monitor for my cctv. Seems fine at present except for very slight light bleed in the top right hand corner, which I can see if I turn the lights off and put it to 4:3 mode. I'm no fan of Thomsons backup, had terrible probs with a plasma I got from them but I bought on barclaycard and they are very good at sorting it if I have problems with Thomson services. Might get a 22" inch for the bedroom at a later date though.....