1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 21PT4457 21" - Picture slanted.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Asghar, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Asghar

Asghar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone.

I am new to this great forum which I came across a few days ago and I hope that someone could put my mind at test.

I purchased a 21" Philips 21PT4457 from Empire Direct 10 days ago with which I seem to have 2 problems. The first is that the picture has a definate slant, the picture is slightly higher on the left hand side which is noticable when the picture does not fill the entire screen and when viewing Widescreen. I notice it all the time and it spoils my viewing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is it me or is this acceptable for a new TV. After contacting Empire Direct, an engineer came and had a look and informed me that it was acceptable. Contacted Empire Direct again and they collected the TV and returned it saying that there was not a fault.

Also the RGB Scart is very dark when connected to my PAL GameCube. NTL Digital connected to the same scart is perfect. It's seems a shame that I cannot play my GameCube on the TV. The AV input is nowhere as good a RGB.:(

2. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not half as bad as mine .My 32" toshiba is around a quarter inch higher on one side . Tosh said it was fine

I just wish i had tilt control . Are you sure you don't I know a hell of a lot of phillips tvs do

3. Asghar

Asghar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have checked the manual and on screen display, there is no tilt control and from what you said it seems there is no point writing direct to Philips either about the slant. Tv's should have more picture control options like monitors have.

Is there anything I can do about the dark RGB scart image?

After reading more of this forum there seem to be a lot a problems with large screen TV's.

4. Asghar

Asghar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On searching the forum I learned how to access the service menu. There are horizontal and vertical options but no tilt.

Guess I'll have to put up with it.

5. Asghar

Asghar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to solve the problem with the dark GameCube Scart image.

I just connected my GameCube to the Video Scart socket on the back of the NTL Digital Box (where the RGB Scart output works perfect) instead of direct into the TV's RGB Scart.
    Now with the image passing through the Digital Box's Scart lead and into the philips TV the RGB picture is now excellent, perfect sharp colour. Also because the picture is bigger, it looks better than on my 14" portable.

So simple. Why did I not think of it earlier.

6. chegz60

chegz60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a new JVC AV-28T25 with a 5mm tilt. Retailer just replaced today and this one is even worse. To their ( the Co-op) credit they have offered to replace again with different make if neccessary and have even offered a refund!:p

The perils of buying on the web I suppose for some!:(

7. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think the slanting is acceptable. Unfortunately smaller TV's do not have rotation coils on the CRT's.

However, it seems the TV has a rather large amount of overscan given how much it clips from the game image (is it running in 60Hz?). You may want to have it reduced somewhat so you will not have to live with the clipped game HUD's...

8. Asghar

Asghar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The picture of the game was taken whilst running in 60Hz mode (which tends to expand the image) which made the slant clearer to see.

I'm learning to live with the slant. EmpireDirect did collect the TV to have it looked at and they returned it within 4 days stating that there was a fault.