Philips 21:9 TV and Regular TV??

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by highlander_777, Dec 21, 2011.

1. highlander_777

highlander_777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Looking to replacement my main TV

The new Philips 21:9 Cinema 50inch version looks really cool

I have read a number of reviews that highlight film will be great, But given that most of time the wife and kids will be watching stuff like Eastenders and whatever my kids watch.

What will the viewing experience be like. Will we need to constantly change things on the remote each time we change channel?

feedback / comments ??

Thanks John

2. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    I doubt it - I suspect you'd just watch 16:9 content (which is the majority of TV these days) with black bars on the sides or stretch, distort and crop the image to fit the whole panel (if that's more appealing).

For 2.35:1 content you'd probably have to zoom in the image manually or rely on some (probably dubious) automatic mode to detect the presence of black bars on the top and bottom. Unless they start bringing out anamorphic or native 2.35:1 content, I don't really see the point of these screens to be honest.

3. highlander_777

highlander_777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks - but Philips are on their 3rd iteration of the 21:9 , so I guess there must be people out their with this TV watching regular TV

4. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    OK, here's the thing: are you going to watch mostly regular 16:9 content on this TV?

If so, get a 16:9 TV. The different in the width of a 50-inch 2.35:1 screen to a 50-inch 16:9 screen is only about 2.5 inches. If you go to a 55-inch 16:9 panel (or even a 59-inch plasma panel like I have), you actually get a wider screen. And more importantly, a taller screen that won't require black bars on the sides (or image stretching) for the majority of the content you'd watch. ;)

5. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    As suggested, I'm sure you'll find it all automatic (albeit with mostly black bars at the side)

Couple of points:

• Not seen one but it's possible the wider aspect will enhance the 3D a little
    • I think the set has a number of PIP options (useful for the extra/unused width)