Philips 2022 OLED owners thread (707, 807)

Achillius

Established Member
Reaction score
Yjhvmvhc6589CCkCT9csmb-1024-80.jpg.webp

Philips has unveiled the successor to last year's award-winning OLED806. The new OLED807 combines a four-sided Ambilight system with a 120Hz refresh rate and a brighter OLED EX panel, the same panel used in LG's C2 and G2 OLED TVs, announced earlier this month.

The new OLED TV line also gets the company's 6th Gen P5 AI picture processor, which optimises brightness, gamma and colour response in real-time, to suit ambient lighting conditions. It's said to work across any source, from HDR to standard definition.

The OLED EX panel is reported to be '30% brighter' than a standard OLED panel and its ultra-thin form has enabled Philips to shave 4-5mm off the 807's bezel. New and improved four-sided Ambilight, promises "increased colour detail", and should make for an immersive viewing experience.

Philips reckons the OLED807 is "perfect" for consoles too, as it supports HDMI 2.1 features such as HDMI eARC, VRR support for 4K@120Hz, FreeSync Premium and G-Sync.

The Philips OLED807 range supports Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HDR10+ Adaptive, HDR10 and HLG and now IMAX Enhanced certification has been added for 2022. Smart duties are handled by the Android TV 11 operating system with Google Assistant built-in. Sound is supplied by a 70W 2.1-channel sound system.

Want more oomph? The OLED807 is one of the first TVs to support DTS Play-Fi Home Theatre. The tech lets you integrate your TV into a Play-Fi wireless surround speaker system, using the TV's built-in speakers as a dedicated centre channel.

For a touch of luxury, there's a leather-backed remote control.
Last but not least, Philips is going green(er). The OLED807 comes in 'raw' cardboard packaging printed with soy-based ink.

No offence mate but 8807 would require its own owner thread just purely because different panel technology and hardware inside... :lesson:

I'm excited about the LG EX panel. Not because of the brightness, but those thin bezels are beautiful.

Guy made many promises here and that's only on 807, can only imagine what 937 could bring then? 🙃

Any rumours on pricing in UK?

Might be a bit subjective here but it seems like 807 ambilight will have gap under tv in middle? Also bottom corners too. Looks a bit odd to me. Is it so hard to make a tv with all round ambilight :facepalm:

Guy made many promises here and that's only on 807, can only imagine what 937 could bring then? 🙃

Any rumours on pricing in UK?

Might be a bit subjective here but it seems like 807 ambilight will have gap under tv in middle? Also bottom corners too. Looks a bit odd to me. Is it so hard to make a tv with all round ambilight :facepalm:
TVs are developed by smart people, engineers. You can get a job with them and show them how to do it right, and not just write on the forum. I'm surprised you don't work there yet.

TVs are developed by smart people, engineers. You can get a job with them and show them how to do it right, and not just write on the forum. I'm surprised you don't work there yet.
Good day to you too :D
I said its subjective, so for you its fine to have odd gap in bottom corners and middle?
I am engineer myself and helped few manufacturers with product improvements. Whilst I agree that tv's are developed by smart people and a lot of effort gone into it, but my good feel such solution is driven by financial factor from strategic planing. Hardly engineers had any say on this.
I would love to hear reason behind such approach. Considering philips keeps platform for 3 years on average:
In my view story was (ps - imaginary story, so no need to take it in any offensive way):
oled804 -
Boss - "success, people want bottom ambilight"!

b6bacdec-philips-55oled804-le-televiseur-oled-de-philips-conserve-l-ambilight-et-passe-sous-android-9-0__w380_wtmk.jpeg

Engineers - Need to redesign panel, new layout, new mold etc, budget?
Boss: cheap as possible! no budget, same platform, have to use for another 3-5 years.
Engineers - Oh well, maybe amend existing mold, deepen bottom, cut openings later, write software. sell 805 with new cover till 806 fully tested for release
Boss: now that's better, crack on...
oled 805

IC13004-9526-00-rear-615x461.jpg

Meanwhile oled806 in R&D gets its bottom ambilight:

OLED806_philips_oledtv_06.jpg

Engineer - done, due to existing design and feet variations we could not make bottom ambilight to cover all areas with current budget.
Boss: "who cares they will buy it anyway, half wont notice a deal. Only certain percentage hangs tvs on the wall anyway... Even less % will be bothered about it.... Maybe few will return because of this, rest will believe we done it with purpose! Marketing team will solve this :laugh: "

next day pictures on website 806
F400099136-FIL-global-001

In reality:
1357904476-921660dc23f90022fce325ac3537dc3e381892451166528987dd96b01de7f587-d

Let's not forget Philips success is much linked to ambilight itself. This is absolute disrespect to ambilight lovers and technically showing that philips no longer care about it as people wiling to take anything as long as it somehow glows....
Aesthetically last picture bottom ambilight just gives feel like some leds failed at back of tv..... :facepalm: Now guess who that Boss was :D

This attitude will lead us nowhere, I was also initially upset with the comments made by @AVtest but on the long run I understood he is right, especially when he was criticizing the MediaTek chip, look where we are today with the half resolution issue.

They say they will fix it with a firmware update but these sets were released months ago, advertised as their "flagship" sets, I don't expect people to purchase an incomplete set, spending time with their fingers crossed waiting for firmware updates.

Let's not forget that with the 935+ they also had to release a firmware update, to fix 120fps Motion for Xbox Series X & PS5 Gaming and that was in February, months after the set was available in the market.

The bottom Ambilight problem is bad design, no need to be an engineer to understand it and I wonder how legal it is to show photos on the website with no gap in the middle when in reality it's there and clearly visible.

It's time for Philips to get their act together and be more straightforward and transparent with what is going on with these sets.

at the moment, all TV manufacturers - do not change the design for years. only minimal cosmetic improvements. And yes, they do it to save money. You don't have to be super smart to figure it out. The same thing happens everywhere, including cars. If we talk about 4-way embilight and how it is made, it's probably not just like that, and I highly doubt that any of you and even the senior engineer of Avtest know why and how it would be better. We are all smart in words, but in fact ...

This attitude will lead us nowhere, I was also initially upset with the comments made by @AVtest but on the long run I understood he is right, especially when he was criticizing the MediaTek chip, look where we are today with the half resolution issue.

They say they will fix it with a firmware update but these sets were released months ago, advertised as their "flagship" sets, I don't expect people to purchase an incomplete set, spending time with their fingers crossed waiting for firmware updates.

Let's not forget that with the 935+ they also had to release a firmware update, to fix 120fps Motion for Xbox Series X & PS5 Gaming and that was in February, months after the set was available in the market.

The bottom Ambilight problem is bad design, no need to be an engineer to understand it and I wonder how legal it is to show photos on the website with no gap in the middle when in reality it's there and clearly visible.

It's time for Philips to get their act together and be more straightforward and transparent with what is going on with these sets.

I am glad you mentioned "legal", question is "do consumers bother with legal anymore"? Even if they do, how much hassle does it cost them as all you will win is only refund :confused: There was research somewhere about consumer behaviour on returns and round 50% don't even bother returning items anyway even if they not fit for purpose or been misleadingly marketed.
As been mentioned before people working at Philips know exactly what they are doing and how to drive most profit as its all about statistics. Anyone into consumer behaviour analytics could confirm how well this tool works in product development scoping. Issue with consumers that they let it go too easy these days. Consumers can moan, ask, criticize as much as they like but organisation won't do anything if it does not affect their bottom line £££. Consumers sitting with fingers crossed patiently waiting/hoping for fix to arrive do not affect bottom line on profitability. They actually, as per video, generate massive profits! Hence there is no urge in fix and you will be just fed with empty promises. In some cases this will be used as opportunity as example (E) ARC issues with sound etc, instead of fixing issue Philips uncovered opportunity to supply tv's with their own sound system. So now you get pesky soundbar which you never asked for but yet have to pay in order to own "flagship" tv:rotfl:
Yet product return not only hits profits but makes loses to both retailer and manufacturer. If every 935 owner would demand engineer/return/refund product with clear feedback and not willingness to wait - I could guarantee within weeks you would get firmware fixes or apology. I can return tv and buy it later even cheaper or newer version if needed.
I buy not just product, I buy product+experience! If I need to wait for experience, what's the point of product I just purchased? Especially at inflated price and I don't really care how many awards it has. Consumer behaviour must change.
Consumers became beta testers here, sad part that beta testers are normally paid, here we pay to be beta testers :facepalm:

We don't need to go far, Philips rep is here on forums, obviously its strategic decision to raise awareness of product. Yet if we check his activity history it is crystal clear which product owners deliver most profit and critical to maintain engagement. In fact he recently upset OLED+936/986 owners confirming that 4k120hz VRR will continue at half resolution with no fix....
We also see which product range/owners rep does not care about too. Why? Probably because mid/low range tv owners hardly inclined to return product since already committed to thought "at this price not much to expect, shall keep for few years and buy new one"...

Just to be clear this is not just Philips problem and other brands have this trend, but all down to consumer naive nature to " wait for promised fix"

at the moment, all TV manufacturers - do not change the design for years. only minimal cosmetic improvements. And yes, they do it to save money. You don't have to be super smart to figure it out. The same thing happens everywhere, including cars. If we talk about 4-way embilight and how it is made, it's probably not just like that, and I highly doubt that any of you and even the senior engineer of Avtest know why and how it would be better. We are all smart in words, but in fact ...

Car market is completely different segment to tv's. Consumer can take car back to dealer any moment if not happy.
Answer in your question lies in statistics like I said before. How many % would manufacturer loose in sales by not implementing VRR? How many sales would manufacturer make by implementing some sort VRR even if it has caveats? Consumers only stick to buzzwords, clickbaits etc... Probably 90% of flagship owners don't even know they have issues with VRR, but they do know "tv got VRR". Same goes to "fake 2.1 hdmi" fiasco few years back. All comes back to consumers being ignorant or negligent to pursue feature mis-sold :lesson:

After watching that video I think the bezels are not as small as the C2 from LG.

Philips 807
20220127214421_2022-01-27_PhilipsOled807_04_(1200x825).jpg

LG C2
KMptY33XAPdVWTf2qtoNUC.jpg

It's annoying...

Last edited:
Might be a bit subjective here but it seems like 807 ambilight will have gap under tv in middle? ...
The 807 will have a stand connected in the middle (similar to current 856), therefore the ambilight gap.

Philips has a habit of not fixing tec on supported TVs instead moving on to the next model. I rather have a TV with all its features then broken half-ass features that Philips sells.
936/986 can't even do 120hz 1080p,1440p or 4K without lowering resolution,
Ambilight still has white halo during black screen.
The remote still after over 2 years stops working & fails to register input.
VRR is broken, Philips refuses to fix above 60hz, problem is it's broken below 60hz.
Still don't understand why sell 986/936 with HDMI 2.1 support when HDMI 2.0 would have sufficed.
I will never buy Philips again.

So why is Philips always so slow in showing their tv’s. All other brands are actually close on releasing their models, but Philips doesn't even have a video that shows them.

On my PC i use Hue+ its amazing i can turn any led light on/off or change any individual led to the colour i want. I dont understand Philips, Why cant you implement such a Tec on your Ambilight TVs, wouldn't it not please both wall/stand lovers. even a simple feature as control of just the bottom row would appease your customers, It cant be that complicated! is it???

I think 807 looks amazing Its basically what the 936/986 should have been.

It's nothing new or weird. That's how Philips does it already for years. They always announce, show and release their TV's later than the competition.

It's nothing new or weird. That's how Philips does it already for years. They always announce, show and release their TV's later than the competition.
They've used the same month as others to speak about their upcoming models, but after that, being quiet, not even showing a video of it, is a weird act. Previous years, it was actually possible for the press to show their new models on video. Now just nothing. They don't seems to take their TV brand seriously. Communication is key and they lack it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom